THIBODAUX TALES: CHAPTER SIX

Well, Ya'll, 

Have you ever thought that you've had the Lord figured out? That your detective license was more valid than any revelation or inspiration you could receive? That the Lord has, "patterns" and in your humble mortality you've as cracked the code and determined your own will? 

Well. Let me be the first to tell you- don't do that, it's a bad idea, the Lord has an interesting way of INSTANTLY humbling the haughty hearted. You can do all you can to plan.. but you're always planning a Plan B. And let's be honest, even if you can't see it, Plan A is always better. My detective license is revoked, I'm through predicting mysteries, and finished with finagling the Lord.

Yes, ladies and gentleman, I've been transferred. 

I must say, I didn't see it coming, and I think that's how God likes it. As a matter of fact, in a time of confusion and misunderstanding, I could think of nothing to do but get on my knees.. and the resounding answer I received was, "missions aren't supposed to be comfortable." It was President Uchtdorf who said, "we must get comfortable with the uncomfortable." So I guess all signs are pointing towards an adventurous mission of constant change and growth- so might as well get used to not getting used to things. Don't get too attached to your shacks on the bayou... God might have a greater mansion in store. 

I'm headed to the homeland of Slidell. I'm still a Zone Leader, just in a different zone, and my new companion will be Elder Spencer. Elder Sellers will be staying in Thibodaux with Elder Davis, who will be the new District Leader. I'm back in a quadship with Elder Hernandez, and my Zone Leader companion will be Elder Jones- who is going to be serving in Mandeville. Basically just a bunch of mission jargon that means, we're off on another adventure.. already. 

Our tale was short but explosive. Allow me to reflect on the greatness that was my one and done in Thibodaux with Elder Sellers:
  • I have treasured the time spent with the Greek Freak, Elder Sellers. The inside jokes, the workouts, and the Singing Sundays have made this one mighty companionship full of voice cracks.
  • We churned that dairy-free butter and with that contagious greenie fire, catalyzed the crops and harvest in the vast fields of Thibodaux.
  • This ward has some of the most efficient, willing, and dedicated people I have met in Louisiana. The ward councils here run like a well-oiled machine and the leadership really know how to minister to the individual and join in the churning of the work.
  • I must be honest- that shack on the bayou is going to be quite hard to let go- I will always treasure our morning duck watching escapades and crocodile hunting.
  • Some of the Elders in this District have become some of my closest friends.. although the Elders Quorum District is no more, I have renewed faith that friends can be found anywhere.
  • The work here.. was accelerating. I've formed bonds and relationships with some investigators here... that I could see in that glistening white. Alas, I am humbled and honored by my role as the planter and look forward to the great harvest of Elder Sellers and Davis!







-I could honestly go on for a good minute more, but I'm just going to pray that miracles have not ceased... and that this won't be the last I see of Thibodaux.

We did have some stellar experiences this past week- I was PRIVILEGED, DARE I SAY BLESSED, TO GO ON EXCHANGES WITH ELDER CARTER. Just like olden times, our time together was a trip. One of our investigators had a vision...

-in her own words-

"I saw two angels wings.. spiraling in a reverse direction. The hue of the feathers was a dark and ominous color. As I glanced over, I witnessed the wings.. stuck in the tree.. looming over the Catholic Church. I could've sworn they were moving.. ever so slowly... I watched.  until suddenly a voice echoed in my head, "they don't know how close the end is." Spooky, no?
Well, my homeboy Elder Carter went all, Joseph of Egypt on our visionary woman and INTERPRETED EVERY DETAIL OF HER VISION. DOWN TO THE VERY FEATHER. I have never been so honored to call him my companion once again. We shortly got back on topic and discussed with them the Restoration, and I must say.. she was not the only one who walked away more converted from our appointment. As I bore testimony about the sacrifice and mantle of the prophet Joseph Smith, I was nearly brought to tears... I felt so emotionally connected and appreciative of his ministry and service. It was sincerely enough to make a grown man cry... I KNOW that Joseph Smith was a prophet. I have no doubt about that. And with the knowledge, I continue in the wisdom that this church is true and the Book of Mormon that comes with it. I love this Gospel with all my heart.. and those were real tears- something only true conviction and testimony could produce. This church is true and the book is blue.






Elder Sellers and I also had an inspiring experience as we were shoved away in a trailer park only to be beckoned for not shortly after by the most lovely woman. GET THIS: she thought we were the Jehovah's Witnesses so she stopped us in our tracks wanting to study with Jesus people.. BECAUSE, she recently went on a little Google Search and typed in...

"How can I strengthen my relationship with God?"

She clicked on the first result and was lead on an adventure and questionnaire about repentance and forgiveness.. and at the end the website offered her, "two bibles." LITTLE DID WE KNOW, that "website" was Mormon.org.. and one of those two bibles was the Book of Mormon. When we shared our message with her, she said it sounded too familiar.. and as we bore testimony of the Book of Mormon she quickly ran inside and showed us her copy. I was personally dumbfounded.. she wants to study with us three times a week now and is ready for the next step in her discipleship. Elder Sellers and Davis are gonna have a good time with her. :)
WELL Y'ALL:
I've learned a lot about myself in these past six weeks. Everything I was anxious about.. every little particular detail.. has slowly but surely become comfortable. I think that is a lot of what our investigators must feel when we drench them with our celestial super soakers in knowledge of the restored Gospel. It's different. It's scary. And naturally.. resistance is inevitable BUT, slowly and surely.. adjustment follows suit.. and you realize that there was no lack of preparation on God's part.. but a lack of faith on yours. It's been good Thibodaux. I think a suitable farewell can be found in a flashback..
*cue fancy ripple effect as a stare off into the distance evokes a scene of both nostalgia and insanity*

*preferably sung to the tune of Duck Tales..*

Life is like a hurricane
Here in Thibodaux
Crawfish, gators, etoufĂ©e, 
It's country! yeah, bro! 
We might teach a lesson, 
Or find some Cajuns! 
Thibodaux Tales! (a-woo-oo)
Teachin' peeps what we believe in
Thibodaux Tales! (a-woo-oo)
Not Slidell tales or BR tales but
Thibodaux Tales! (a-woo-oo) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Little town, it's a quiet village,
Every day, tracting all these doors,
Little town, full of crazy Cajuns...
Waking up to say...


HEY, Y'ALL, 
Y'ALL FIXIN TO POP SOME MUDBUGS IN THE ICE BOX AND HAVE A GATOR WRENCHING, YEE-HAWING GOOD TIME?


So, we conclude our tale. I'll miss Thibodaux and everything and everyone that came with it.. but I know the Lord has other plans for me. Time to get comfortable with the uncomfortable... SLIDELL HERE I COME.
Tis the end of a tale...

Anxious, but willingly submissive,

Elder Boyd










No comments:

Post a Comment