THIBODAUX TALES: CHAPTER FIVE

Shalom Sheep,

It's too hot, hot darn- however, in a southern rendition of his beloved psalm, we can find a whole lot of comfort in the miracles of the south:
*See Psalm 23 for reference..*

"Yea though I walk through the bayou of the humidity of death, I will fear no evil. For thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

We fear no evil down here because we know the Lord is on our side- and trust me- there would normally be a lot to fear when it comes to Louisiana- but it's amazing what you can do with faith in Jesus Christ. That's the thing about fear. It can only hang around until faith enters the room, and then it's forced to flee. So, with faith in every footstep, and fear as our stomping ground, we brave the sweat and travail the heat in this weeks, THIBODAUX TALES: CHAPTER FIVE.

Considering the last tale we enjoyed was not even a week ago, we've only had five days to experience- or rather should I say, we've been blessed with FIVE DAYS TO EXPERIENCE AND WRITE ABOUT. I must say, it only takes a second to see a miracle, and whether it was five days or a week... this tale is full of tender mercies from the Lord. And how can you not be grateful when you have a FANTASTIC companion, a promised land to work with, and the only true and living church to share with the world? It's a beautiful day in EVERY neighborhood over here in Thibodaux. 

ON WITH THE MIRACLES:

One of the more noteworthy experiences of this week was actually the entirety of Saturday. It was one of those, "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down" kind of days. I was pleasured to go on another exchange this week, this time with our District Leader, Elder Cooley. Now, I don't know where he got this idea from.. but word went around that, "Elder Boyd has the GREENIE FIRE" and so he was ready for a Weeble day already- and I'll be honest, God and Elder Boyd didn't disappoint. Y'ALL, WE FINALLY FOUND A FOOD BANK TO WORK WITHIN THIBODAUX. MIRACLE UNO OF THE DAY. They are some of the cutest old people you ever did see and I love volunteering and helping the less fortunate. Really, it's a win-win. If you haven't volunteered at your local food bank lately, I strongly encourage you to do so. ANYWAYS, this next part requires a little bit of background:
One of our most progressing investigators is a single mother with four kids who works two jobs and doesn't get home until the midnight oil burns out- so you can probably imagine, she's a cornucopia of stress. Well, we've been trying to share more of the Book of Mormon with her lately, with great emphasis on the assurance of peace that it brings, but she just hasn't been home and has evaded all of our attempts. SO, come Saturday morning, I shoot her a text.. very determined to see her, might I add.. to see if we could come over that day. TO MY GRACIOUS SURPRISE, she responds.. "yes, come over after lunch.:" Well y'all, I could not wait for lunch time to be over with and for us to go see our girl! However.. as we wrapped up at the Food Bank.. she texts, 

"Today is not a good day Elders."

If there ever was a greater facepalm. I was gutted- but I wasn't going to let that stop us. we've come this far, WE'VE COME THIS FAR AND WE ARE NOT STOPPING NOW. So, I called her, and to my somber surprise.. this past week had been one of the roughest weeks of her lives.. NOW I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, but to Elder Boyd that sounds like a million and one reasons to invite the missionaries over... so, I bore my testimony over the phone, and pleaded with her to let us come over and pray with her children to invite the spirit into her home. The reply, "yes" has never sounded so nice. 
- and there is your background-
Elder Cooley and I went over and contention was definitely in the air. But, something I have learned to love about the Gospel so much, is that there is no contention that the Spirit can't drive away.. We ended up having an incredible lesson with her (not just a prayer. :)) and at the end of it all, we promised that church would be the best thing for her kids. Stay tuned to see how that turned out..

Elder Cooley and I continued to have a great day. We left a bunch of uplifting notes on a few of our potential investigators' doors; just to let them know we were thinking about them. We delivered a few copies of the Book of Mormon.. and then mosey'd our way over to follow up on a few investigators and find some new people to teach. God was on our side. I kid you not, we did not meet with ONE of the people we intended to meet with.. .. with every door we knocked.. some relative or suppose or significant other answered and we were able to share the Book of Mormon with them instead! Each one of them invited us back to teach their family- and the family members we were actually TRYING to see. It was a tender mercy for sure. Then we hit the other side of the street to knock some doors, and were pleased to teach two college students with the most ADORABLE CHIHUAHUA/POMERANIAN MIX PUPPY. Another tender mercy. And the plus side is.. we got invited back.. so not only are they interested, but we get to cuddle their dogs again. AND, IF THAT WASN'T ENOUGH, we kept knocking and ran into the choir teacher at the local high school who talked our ears off for an hour and a half, is actually a family friend of our stake president, and has been looking for missionaries for his whole life. Yeah, I know, TENDER MERCY. SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK. Elder Cooley and I were cooking' at this point.. and managed to see two potentials that Elder Sellers and I have been trying for years now, and taught them both about the Book of Mormon. Like, I said, exchange magic is real.. and Saturday was just like a subscription to the jelly of he month club.. a gift that just kept on giving. We taught a few lessons, baptized a few nations.. ya know, just an average day in the life of an eager emissary of the Lord. We ended the day with eight new people to teach and paved the way for Sunday where...


OUR SINGLE MOM AND HER FOUR KIDS CAME TO CHURCH. Now, this was a struggle and a half, my goodness, but it was OH SO WORTH IT. She can't really.. drive.. so we texted the entire ward roster, trying to find her a ride, and it wasn't until the last seconds of Ward Council that our incredible bishop offered to pick them all up in his Ford Explorer! I ave never loved that man more in my life than I did in that very moment. How GREAT was our joy as they all filed into the chapel and sang the hymns and went to their separate classes.. I think I have a greater appreciation for helicopter parents, because I was watching them like a HAWK making sure they enjoyed every minute and were fellowshipped to infinity and beyond. It's a good kind of stress to accompany you investigators to church.. because you love them so much, and this church is so special to you that you just WANT THEM TO KNOW AND LOVE IT TOO. I feel like parents can sympathize.. you know vegetables are great for your kids.. and homework too.. but you can't force them to like it. It's entirely their choice.. you can just show them the way and pray they'll follow suit. In the words of Elder Robbins.. we teach them the doctrine and then we leave them at the crossroads with the Holy Ghost. And as a missionary.. we can parent our investigators as much as we want.. but if they are to ever grow up themselves, they need their own testimonies. I think my mission is teaching me alot about parenting, dont ya think? :) 

Well, family and friends, another day another tale. Your prayers are working because the work has never been better. I love you all, and hit up those return prayers every day. KEEP THE FAITH MY FRIENDS, OUR GOD IS GREATER. I know this church is true... how can a church that brings THIS much joy not be true? I love it and I LOVE ALL OF YOU. HAVE A GREAT WEEK YA'LL. 

Shalom sheep,
Elder Boyd

This week's Facebook Message

Disclaimer: there is alot of joy in this video.
"(he) lived joyfully not because (his) circumstances were joyful, but because (HE) was joyful." - Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf
I know that as we internalize joy, regardless of our circumstance, we can find happiness in the greatest voice cracks of our lives. Choose to be joyous. And crack your voice every once in a while.. sometimes it is in our imperfections that we find the greatest joy.
2 Nephi 2:25
#LBRMSingingSunday




This week's Pictures:



















No comments:

Post a Comment