GONZALES GAZETTE: CHAPTER ELEVEN

A life impacted by grace eventually begins to look like Christ's life.

From zero to hero, from a sinner to a winner, and from yikes to Christ... (that last one might need a little work.) The Gospel of Jesus Christ makes bad men good and good men better-- I testify that this is true! As an eyewitness to the miracles of the Lord, I have been able to experience exquisite joy as I have spectated the conversion of the elect. Take a family, torn apart by the world, consumed by addiction and worldly influence, without purpose, without happiness, without joy... 

And give that family the words of Christ. 
...yea, the word which healeth the wounded soul. -Jacob 2:8
And that very same family, is now an eternal family, brought together in Christ, enveloped in his proven love and constant companionship, full of purpose, with everlasting happiness and joy...

The full power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is contained within the Book of Mormon, period. And as I have been able to experience the fruits of this power, I cannot deny that these are, indeed the words of Christ. The very words that have made sinners winners and zeroes into heroes. What a moving edition and miraculous week we have had... and I can't wait to tell y'all about it. The Book of Mormon is true and so is the GONZALES GAZETTE: CHAPTER ELEVEN. 

I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

With all of my heart, I know that Jesus is the Christ and that he LIVES! 

One of the greatest fruits of serving my mission is my own personal conversion to the Savior and His Gospel. And one of my greatest joys as a missionary is being able to witness that same conversion being wrought in others. 

Here are some lines this week from our converted bayou buddies:

"This Book has given me a better feeling than any drug has ever."

"THIS didn't convert me (motioning to an Alcoholic Anonymous manual) THIS did (gesturing to the Book of Mormon)."

"I don't just want my family back... I want my family for eternity." 

"Man's words cannot get you into heaven."

"Drugs make us feel it up here (motions to the mind) but this Book (referring to the Book of Mormon) helps us to feel it HERE (motions to the heart)." 

We must feel it deep within the innermost parts of our heart that the Book of Mormon is unequivocally the word of God. The Book of Mormon combined with the Spirit can be a personal Urim and Thummim in our lives to help us to interpret answers, revelation, and the influences of the Spirit. Combined with the Spirit, it is the most powerful resource in conversion AND in becoming converted. The fruits are there, but will you eat? Or let them ripen in iniquity as the gnats of the adversary come and make their dwelling place on the perishable fruit of the Spirit. Fruit can perish quickly-- and so will your testimony if you don't choose this day to be a better person through the [healing] power of the Book of Mormon. In the words of a modern-day prophet...
The truths of the Book of Mormon have the power to heal, comfort, restore, succor, strengthen, console, and cheer our souls.  -President Russell M. Nelson
Y'all, if you couldn't tell, my life has been impacted by the power of the Book of Mormon. I am more converted to its power than ever, and I am determined to share this fruit with all of my fellow hungry souls. You know, that reminds me of a valuable lesson I learned this week...

As many of you know, we have been hustling and bustling our way through Zone Conferences around the mission. What a pleasure and honor it is to represent not only the Savior Jesus Christ but His representative, President Varner. To minister and to lift where we stand, to instruct and be edified, to reach out and strengthen the feeblest of knees, to receive and respect revelation, and to refine ourselves through the iron-men and women of the mission. We are so blessed to serve in this capacity! As I have aforementioned, Satan and his servants have attempted their ambush, but to no avail, their plans were thwarted by the omnipotence of the General himself. BUT, as I have begun the last leg of this celestial relay race, a gentle observation has crossed and humbled my mind...

My mission is a lot like the Savior's. 

In every way possible, Satan knows our weaknesses and our fears and our insecurities and our inadequacies. I'm going to be vulnerable and say, I've felt his strength this week. I have experienced his power and dominion; I know, that he too is in the midst of us all-- and as they say down here-- that He never sleeps. I have a testimony of Satan, it is true. And he tried this week, oh, he tried... As we surmounted our spiritual Mt. Sinai's we felt literally on top of the world. But just as Moses, as we descended, we found ourselves vulnerable to the contentious atmosphere. "You're not good enough..." "That wasn't a good comment..." "You don't actually know how to sing..." In whatever way he could, he did. Notice how he deals in infinitives, denying the influence and effect of the Atonement? If we are obeying the Gospel of Jesus Christ, nothing can go permanently wrong-- but we also know that Satan desires to have us, that he might [sift us as wheat.] In moments like these, it is helpful to remember that the Savior is praying for us. To the apostle Simon, also known as Peter, the Savior offered this simple phrase of relief, "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." He is also praying for US, and it truly is a matter of faith that helps us to conquer Satan. As my mind caught hold of this truth, the same thought permeated my mind once again...

My mission is a lot like the Savior's.

Towards the end of my time here as a representative of Him, my joy has substantially escalated. However, there is an opposition in all things, and the opposition at the end of my mission has been like none I have ever experienced before. At first, I thought I was doing something wrong... I thought I wasn't doing enough... I thought that I hadn't fulfilled my part as a full-time representative in the past few months... but, notice the infinitives? An acknowledgment of this principle helped me to realize... it was never easy for Him, so why should it be easy for me. 
Brad Wilcox once said, "a life impacted by grace, eventually begins to look like Christ's life." And let me just say, I am a life impacted by grace. I am wholeheartedly a product of converted brothers and sisters strengthening their brethren. I am submissive to the eternal truth that on my own I am a nobody-- yet to God, I am a somebody. He makes somebodies out of nobodies and he has made me and everybody into something worth being. You know who else's life was impacted by grace?

The Savior's.
And he received not of the fulness at first, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fulness; -Doctrine & Covenants 93:13
The very same somebody who at the end of His mission, experienced His greatest opposition. It's no coincidence that Gethsemane was a later-life experience. He too was perceived to be something of naught at times, he was ridiculed for his preaching and testifying, he did not please man in any way shape or form, and he was rejected by those around him and acquainted with grief. Yet, he still suffered it... and in suffering, he pleased God and became everything he was meant to be. From nothing to everything, we too as we endure through trials, can become what God needs us to be by doing what he needs us to do... regardless of others' perception of our missions. 

In the words of the prophet Joseph Smith, perhaps I too am meant to, "swim in deep waters." Better deep than shallow, huh? Being thrown into the deep end is a compliment; it represents trust, confidence, and faith. I rejoice that I have been counted worthy to suffer shame for his name-- it is an honor to serve a similar mission as that of the greatest somebody that has ever lived. I am in no way shape or form comparing my efforts to his transcendent glory... but am very grateful to walk something of the path he walked. 

And I am not the only one...

In closing, I thought of an experience I had this week at our Zone Conferences. Elder Jones and I (my beloved companion) experimenting upon the word with all the missionaries as we answered questions of the soul. In the Monroe Zone this week, there was already such a great spirit in the room... and then a sister raised her hand and asked the question, "how do we help others overcome depression?" 

The spirit was still, present, and heavy. 

Elders and Sisters raced through the scriptures to offer up an answer, and as they shared their thoughts, not a dry eye was in the room. I had the opportunity to stand before these missionaries and to look in their eyes as they scavenged for an answer to a deep question that I know.. I know, they too had. In the most reverent form of the expression... I felt like the Savior. As I looked into each of their eyes, I felt the pure love of Christ envelop my soul. I looked out upon them, and with them, saw their stories, their struggles, and their trials... I saw in their eyes, a special portion of hope and strength. These were sin-resistant souls who had been through a war with Satan. I saw the pain in their eyes... and in a small way... I could feel it. I could feel what they had been through. They knew darkness, and I could see that in their eyes and feel it in my heart. But more importantly, I could see that... they knew light. They knew Christ, who had swallowed their trials and given them the very hope I saw consecutively behind the pain. The embodiment of Moroni's petition:
And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise. -Moroni 7:41
And President Packer's quote:
Once we accept the truth of the doctrine that we are the children of God, that realization changes us. Thereafter we cannot willingly injure another of transgress against him. That simple, profound doctrine has a very practical value. It brings a feeling of self-worth, of dignity, of self-respect. Then self-pity and depression fade away. When then can yield to self-discipline and to the discipline of a loving Father and accept even the very hard lessons of life. The gospel is good medicine.  
Without pain, how could we know joy? This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate. So if you're struggling, know that so are these missionaries-- the only difference is that they know where to turn to receive help, hope, and answers. 

For those who are curious, here are a few scriptures the missionaries came up with:

Alma 26:27   
 
So yes! Zone Conferences were a success, we rejoice in the conversion of our brethren, and life as a representative of the Savior's mission couldn't be better! I am grateful for grace and the ministering angels who have surrounded me with the pure love and support of Christ. I testify of His name... that he loves us to the end! We are everything to Him... I love being a missionary! I see miracles every day and rejoice in Christlike struggles. I hope everyone has an opportunity this week to experience the power of the Book of Mormon and to find hope through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. If your mission is hard, take heart! You're standing shoulder to shoulder with the greatest life this world has ever known. I love my Savior! And I LOVE ALL OF YOU! HAVE A GREAT WEEK Y'ALL! ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU.

Impacted by grace,

Elder Boyd 

This Week's Pics:




 I hope the thumbs up means all is well and fixed with the washer (it was making horrible sounds)!!















Service in NOLA:





No comments:

Post a Comment