SLIDELL SCROLLS: CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: General Conference Edition

Salutations to all my shepherds out there,

Without a doubt, this is the restored church of Jesus Christ. Now, I could easily just enumerate the endless insights I acquired while listening to divinely appointed servants for ten hours this week- but you've probably got the same notes. You heard the same talks, you heard the quotes, and you probably don't need me to tell you in an organized list, something you already know and have heard. Instead, let's make this more... personal. Questions have been answered. Impressions have been entertained. And I have gained two and a half pounds. I present to you, my dearly beloved, SLIDELL SCROLLS: CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: General Conference edition.

Every. Question. Answered. You know how they say everything is bigger in Texas? Well, I haven't been to Texas, and I am sure they deliver everything in the most grandiose of proportions, but everything is truly better on a mission. It's almost like God rewires your taste buds, intellect, and perspective, to turn you into a charitable, courageous, and kind baptizing machine that doesn't fall asleep during the afternoon sessions of Conference. Or in more professional words, a conversion not from bad to good... but from good to better. Now, it's time to get deep... quirkiness aside, for all you reading, here is what the spirit taught me this weekend.

Everyone speaks a different language of the spirit, so I'm sure you all have your own insights. But allow me to start with this: I know, without a doubt, that God knows me- personally and perfectly. He is aware of my current situation, or my prayers, of my fears, doubts, weaknesses, imperfections. He knows EVERYTHING I am afraid to tell the world... and loves me still. He loves me in my vulnerabilities and in my victories. Through trial and triumph. God knows me and he loves me. (Now I want you all to go back and read that paragraph again... but instead of the, "me" meaning Elder Boyd..  the, "me" means you. ) There were questions that I didn't know I had, but through nuggets of wisdom, God knew what I needed to hear this weekend. As I watched Conference, and as I watch it in the future, I will make it an individual experience, and I challenge you all to do the same. Forget the snacks. Neutralize the noise. And focus... Somehow in some way, each speaker has something they need to say to you.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell has always been and will always be one of my favorite apostles... And little did I know that through his quotation this conference, I would find an answer to a lifelong question. 

You'll notice I have replaced one word... "God gave me Eosinophilic Esophagitis so that I might teach his children with authenticity." 

What a unique perspective that I have never before considered. Immediately following, I wrote down a commentary of my own- "our struggles are our greatest teachers- they allow us to teach from experience." The most powerful lesson is one given in the spirit of empathy. Could we TRULY testify of the power of repentance, if we had never calloused our knees for forgiveness ourselves? Could we powerfully promise that God helps his people in their afflictions... if we had never required his help to deliver us out of our own? Could we SINCERELY tell people that life DOES get better... if we never lived a life needing improvement? The point is, experience enables empathy and empowers empathetic teaching. Now here's the thing- we don't have perfect empathy and we don't have the perfect experience. No matter what has happened in our lives, we cannot completely tell someone, "I know what you're going through." No matter the magnitude of our experience we cannot perfectly empathize. But here's the thing... as missionaries and members alike... together we testify of someone who DOES have infinite experience and who has descended not TO, but below all things so that he might provide ultimate empathy. That's why we teach our people to rely on a Savior. They can only rely upon us for so long until eventually, they will require someone with much more experience. Similarly, we can't expect to rely wholly upon ourselves to provide the succor and attention we need. If we try to endure mortality alone, we will inevitably fail. Which leads into probably one of my biggest takeaways this weekend:

From the words of Elder Gong, "Perfection is in Christ not in ourselves." Our faith is in Christ, not in ourselves. Faith in ourselves will eventually and inevitably lead to fear... but faith in Christ will always lead to miracles. We simply cannot do it- and that is a HARD truth to learn, is it not? Yes, we are good enough, yes we are of infinite worth, but if we expect to do the Lord's work alone, we are setting ourselves up for failure. If you struggle with self-worth and expect perfection instead of improvement, just remember: you don't have to be perfect, because God is. Do you except yourself to be a God this very moment? No. Then don't expect yourself to be perfect at this very moment either. Perfection is in Christ, not ourselves. It's not in us that we can do all things... but in and through Him. That's a lesson that if I think we all learned and applied, God's children would never struggle with self-worth again. If you expect yourself to be perfect, you are denying the reality of a very important part of God's plan: mortality. Don't deny mortality, but face reality with Christ, and you'll be alright. There's so much more that I would like to say on this topic- but instead I just pray that the spirit bridges the gaps in your heart to allow you to feel and to know... that with Christ, you are enough. 

Well y'all, there was so much to learn from Conference but those two things I deemed most important to share. I echo the words of President Nelson in inviting you all to re-read the talks when they come out- they truly are the mind and will of God for us at this very moment, delivered by his divinely appointed servants.

Well, I guess I'll share one missionary miracle from this week and then wrap it all up:

One reason we include members in missionary work is to remind them that they are missionaries too. Members truly are the gateway to miracles. 

We found ourselves in a blessed position to teach these three Spanish girls in a member home. These members have consistently brought these girls to church and fellow-shipped them like family. (These were the girls aforementioned in the previous weekly... the miracles at the end of sacrament meeting.) As we began teaching the Restoration, we quickly realized the divinity in simplicity. In fact, the Gospel is actually created and intended to be taught simply enough for a child to understand. Christ commands us to be as little children, does he not? To me, that in part means, that we must simplify to apply the principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We used everything from visuals and object lessons to 1st-grade teacher comparisons and eloquent dancing techniques to teach to their understanding-  but nothing seemed to quite connect. 

That was until the spirit gently whispered,
"Missionary members have the strongest testimonies..." 

I am so grateful for the spirit of God that prompted me to invite the two members to bear testimony that evening. The spirit was tangible. Both of these members had served missions in Central America when they were our age, and to see them in action reminded me of the whole reason we use members in the first place. Our purpose as missionaries is to not only become preach my gospel missionaries... but to facilitate the conversion of "Preach My Gospel" members. These two members connected with the children in a way we couldn't- as a mother and father would to their own kids, they ministered and loved these children and intimately spoke to their simple spirits. It was a beautiful lesson that I was so grateful to be a part of. So much in missionary work would escalate, if we would just learn how to be proper member missionaries. 

Well y'all, my heart is full. I hope you truly felt edified and instructed this weekend! I know very personally that President Russell M. Nelson is a prophet of the Lord. I know that his words are the words of God. I know that the Book of Mormon is ALSO the word of God. Remember this week- whatever experience you may endure, you are just carving a greater capacity for empathy within yourself. ALSO, don't expect perfection, just embrace Christ. We're all going to be okay, just believe, do, and love. HAVE A GREAT WEEK Y'ALL! ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU!


Farewell, little flock,


Elder Boyd

Pics/Videos For This Week:

Elder Boyd's Birthday: October 28th

A sweet, kind family celebrating Elder Boyd's Birthday



Blessings from the local Food Bank



















No comments:

Post a Comment