CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER TWENTY

My dearly beloved and most faithful friends,

The English language really needs to step it up. The more I become involved in this unspeakable work and church, the more disappointed I find myself in the mediocrity of words to describe how I feel. I cannot wait for the resurrection when I have a perfect comprehension and ability to express my feelings and emotions.. because as this week stands, only a celestial definition could justify description. Have you ever considered why it IS so hard to describe the impressions of the Spirit? Maybe, perhaps, we are much closer to heaven than we realize. With every earnest conviction in my heart, I can say I know this church is true. Not only this past week, but my entire mission has made manifest to me that the restored church of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is on the earth today and is found within the walls and precepts of the LDS Church. I, like Ammon, cannot even say the smallest part of what I feel- for as I have previously stated, words do no justice to the feelings and inspiration I have felt this past week. AND ON THAT NOTE, my friends, I welcome you to this special edition of the CHALMETTE CHRONICLES. 

Two words...


If this spectacular conglomeration of revelatory divinity didn't get you pumped to be a member of the restored church, I don't know what will. Personally, I have always quite enjoyed conference- I feel actively engaged in the speakers most of the time and treasure up their inspired messages- but I have NEVER experienced conference quite like I did on the mission. There reaches a point where you have "perfect knowledge" that these men and women are the foreordained leaders of this church, that they truly talk with God, and give us the exact counsel and wisdom that we need to prepare for his coming. There reaches a point where the words they speak, are recognized as, "scripture" to digest and apply. For me, this transition was made through my strengthened testimony of prophets and apostles. As missionaries we labor diligently alongside some of the greatest men the heavens have to offer- heck, we share a title with apostles of the Lord. Their direction is strictly perceived as the inspired instruction that we require as emissaries to best accomplish the Lord's work. My questions were answered, I felt the Spirit stronger than I ever have before, and I know this church is true. I know that Russell M. Nelson is our ordained prophet of God- I know that he speaks directly to and for God- and he doesn't need to make some incredible change in church policy to prove that. The sublime doctrine behind the solemn assembly proves that we all have a special spiritual efficacy in this church that gives us an inseparable and unparalleled connection to heaven. Like one of the speakers noted, this church is not the "closest" to Christs restored church, this IS Christs restored church in these latter days. I felt edified, uplifted, and inspired during every session. Now, my challenge, as well as yours.. is the, "therefore what?" moment of this spiritual feast. The words of our leaders are in vain if we do not use them to propel our repentance and motivate our change in discipleship. What will YOU do as a result of this conference? That is the second half of this weekend.. applying what we've learned in the six months leading up to the next gorgeous display of the truthfulness of this church. Some of my personal doctrinal highlights and quotes were:

"How willing the Lord is to reveal His mind and will. The privilege of receiving revelation is one of the greatest gifts of God to His children." -President Nelson

"I urge you to stretch beyond your current spiritual ability to receive personal revelation" -President Nelson

"Regardless of what others may say or do, no one can eve take away a witness borne to your heart and mind about what is true." -President Nelson

"More precious than seeing with our eyes, or remembering words spoken and read, is recalling the feelings that accompanied the quiet voice of the Spirit." -President Eyring

"Pure love is a requirement for every true disciple of Jesus Christ" - Elder De Feo

"True disciples love to forgive. They know that the Atonement of the Savior covers all sins and mistakes of each one of us." - Elder De Feo

"If you are struggling to find the strength to forgive, don’t think of what others have done to you, but think of what the Lord has done for you, and you will find peace." - Elder We Feo

"Those who find a way to truly behold the Man, find the doorway to life’s greatest joys and the balm to life’s most demanding despairs." -Elder Dieter F. Uchtodorf

And Lynn G. Robbins was already one of my favorite seventies.. holy cow Elder...

Mistakes are a fact of life.”  

”’Success isn’t the absence of failure, but going from failure to failure without any loss of enthusiasm.’ -Unknown”

“Success is jumping from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.” 

“Hopefully, each mistake we make becomes a lesson in wisdom, turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones.”

“Consider failure as a tutor, not as a tragedy.”

"We stand all amazed at the Savior's grace in giving us second chances in overcoming sin, or failures of the heart." 

“No one is more on our side than the Savior. He allows us to take and keep retaking His exams.”  

“If to err is human nature, how many failures will it take us until our nature is no longer human, but divine?”  

“Knowing that the strait and narrow path would be strewn with trials and that failures would be a daily occurrence for us, the Savior paid an infinite price to give us as many chances as it would take to successfully pass our mortal probation.” 

“Repentance isn’t his backup plan in the event we might fail. Repentance is his plan knowing that we will. This is the gospel of repentance, and as President Nelson observed, ‘It will be a lifetime curriculum.’”

“The Sacrament does not become a license to sin because true repentance includes "real intent."

"Meekness is strong, not weak; 
active, not passive; 
courageous, not timid; 
restrained, not excessive; 
modest, not self-aggrandizing; 
and gracious, not brash." -Elder David A. Bednar

"Meekness is a defining attribute of the Redeemer and is distinguished by righteous responsiveness, willing submissiveness, and strong self-restraint" -Elder David A. Bednar

To just name a few lovely quotes:

The Lord is hastening his work brothers and sisters- I hope this smackdown of revelation was enough to catapult you out of catastrophe- for in due time we shall be brought to prove our preparation before the Lord, and it is then that we shall realize the warnings and say, "I wish I had listened to the prophet and his apostles."

In other news, the Washington blood has been drained out of me in preference for the guts of an aquatic bayou creature... I am an official Louisianan with the digestion of my first...

Crawfish Boil.

I've heard the fantastical rumors of the ever so infamous feast of the crustacean cornucopia.. but I have never felt more like a Louisiana missionary than the moment where I decapitated my first crawfish, nor have I ever felt more like a creature of brutal strength. I'm still not a master of technique, but I can say that I would consider myself a connoisseur of craw-daddies. It was in honor of our participation in the re-alignment of the headstones at the cemetery- which honestly is a blast and a half. I would not mind summer inter-shipping that service for a good minute of my collegiate career- and THAT is a sign of some good 'ole fashioned quality service. BUT, if you ever desire to be numbered among the elect that is the bayou brethren.. sink your fingers into a little lobster and glory in its gastronomical goodness.

Another side experience of likening the scriptures:
We were out tracting, a beautiful day in the neighborhood, and we ran across this shifty combination of walls and a ceiling with aluminum foil windows- a typical sight in New Orleans.. well, my companion was prompted to sayonara outta there leaving the door in the dust.. but I was suddenly reminded of a scripture:

"Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."-

The second I finished mental recitation, I was comforted- and turned back to convert this Lamanite... I turned around determined to follow my individual prompting, knowing we were supposed to meet that person.. well, the second I turned- seriously there wasn't a moment of hesitation- someone opened up and came out to talk to us. He turned out to be an incredible guy who took quite an interest in the restored Gospel. Although his house might not have been the most attractive of palaces, the man who lived inside was aking in himself. We would've never met him if I hadn't of followed my own prompting and read my scriptures that morning..- isn't I the coolest circumstance when we have equipped ourselves with knowledge for the Spirit to draw on. The Spirit can't help you remember something you've never learned, THIS is why we must fervently study and treasure up the word. Teaching skills, like scripture remembrance, become divine tools in the hands of the Spirit. 

And in closing, a moment of hilarity in the life of the courageously kooky companionship that is Elder Carter and I:

THE SCENARIO:
Before it begun, we had driven past a homeless wanderer in need of economic support.. our sympathy went out to him and his family, but before we could succor his need, the horrendous honk of impatience and righteous regret monopolized our circumstance.. but the power in the Spirit testified to both us- silently and gently.. we would use that donation for a better cause.. little did we know what awaited us that frosty Tuesday morn..

We had set an appointment or rather.. we were going to visit someone we WANTED an appointment with and hoped that our arrival would result in a spontaneous collection of the restoration of Gospel truths. The investigator we had planned to see this day, has been M.I.A from our righteous radar for a good minute.. so we had hope and high expectations- but a disappointment was expected.. naturally, yet again, she was absent from her residence.. somberly, we walked down the boulevard of broken dreams (dramatic) to see another investigator in the vicinity. 

As soon as our feet hit the pavement- an unrecognizable holler whistled through the air...
"Y'all have a dollar? I need a dollar.. dollar.. dollar that's what I need."
This was our moment. This is was the outcome our patience was waiting for. Sadly, I was found with only pocket change and a paperclip.. but entrepreneur extraordinaire Elder Carter found the holy sum of $10 in his pocket- and because of the charitable guy he is, gave him the whole hullabaloo! Embraces ensued.. the fulfillment of his joy was proven through the gesture of a warm embrace. Then he looked at me and said, "You don't get one... AH JUST KIDDING." It felt like I was being hugged by Captain Phillips- can't say I know what that feels like.. but I'm pretty sure it was this. He then proceeded to show us the collection of botanical blubbery he had in his pocket.. the infamous marijuana leaf. We shared a little introduction about who we were and what we were foreordained to do, and it turns out that he is ALSO a rapper for God (granted not once did we claim to be rhythmic geniuses for our Lord and Savior, but apparently that is how he perceived our calling..) Look out on the charts for, "G From Heaven" with his hit single, "Psalms 23"- a little excerpt for you...
"Jesus was born on Christmas day, and all God's children have something to say, I read my bible every day... I saw Psalms 23 outside my door, The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want more...  Resisting the devil don't make you a punk, my name is G and this is my funk."

Lyrical genius everyone. I present the OG, G from Heaven. 

Then came along his brother's friends cousin fifth times removed from his great Aunt Debra's side or something.. and he was much less, "energetic." His mom actually has a house church, is a televised star, and an upcoming angel herself.. so look out for that! 

Somehow out of this whole shebang we managed to acquire two new investigators, a return appointment, and a. "spicy mixtape." As we parted our ways G from Heaven maintained eye contact with me and rapped my sorrows away through the gaps of a chain linked fence... Only in NOLA. :)

God certainly works in mysterious ways and when we look back on the occurrences of our day, we can find the reason behind every feeling and prompting we receive.. maybe the reason you aren't supposed to donate to the poor at that very moment is because there is a G from Heaven waiting for you on the other side. 

Well, my fellow members and future members of the most amazing church there ever will be, this week was seven days to remember. I am truly grateful for the feelings and experiences that I have enjoyed, and the way that they have increased my testimony of the Savior. I know this church is true. I know Jesus Christ lives and is our Savior and Redeemer. I know hat Russell M. Nelson is his prophet in these latter days and through modern day revelation the mysteries of heaven are revealed and we can be more prepared for the coming of our elder brother and best friend, Jesus Christ. I challenge you all to use what you've learned from this glorious Easter and General Conference weekend to develop your ministry.. to love one another.. and to be the elect who hear the voice of the Lord and his servants and follow their counsel. This Gospel is the way, the truth, and the light. I have found no greater joy than within the principles and ordinances of its everlasting fullness.. Thank you for your prayers and eternal devotion to the work of the Lord. I love Y'all. Have a great week and REMEMBER: "therefore, what?"

With exponentially exceeding excitement and enthusiasm,

Elder Boyd


This week's FB Post:

☀️Today is no ordinary Sunday.☀️It doesn't matter who you are, where you come from, what you've done, or how you've lived- you have been completely and perfectly suffered for. You are of a divine identity. And you have been given the second chance of a lifetime- or rather, second chances for a lifetime.
"All things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to the Atonement of Christ." -Joseph Smith
I echo the words of this latter day prophet and testify that Jesus is the Christ. He lives. And through the infinite virtue of his great atoning sacrifice, we can all live again. He is my Savior and your savior, the redeemer of the world, and our best friend in mortality and beyond. He walked alone so none of us would have to, and it is through his willingness, submission, and sacrifice that we are offered redemption from our imperfections and sanctity in our sins.
Just as Jesus endured and fulfilled his foreordination in the garden alone, this song is unaccompanied. Listen to the words. Follow the feelings. And remember the reason for this special Sunday.
In the loving words of a modern day special witness of the Savior himself:
"I testify that the most important day in the history of mankind was the day when Jesus Christ, the living son of God, won the victory over death and sin for all of God's children." - Elder Dieter. F. Uchtdorf
#LBRMSingingSunday



Missionaries Being Silly...











No Idea What's Happening Here??






Boyd Family Tradition of Sharing Sunset Pics With Each Other 


No comments:

Post a Comment