CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Salutations random and familiar citizens alike, 

"Believe in yourself, and you're halfway there." I am a wholesome believer that every righteous endeavor can be accomplished and is entirely relative to the amount of belief one has in themselves. There is a great power in personal motivation that can defy the odds of pessimism and negative circumstance... You ever heard of that cheesy Pinterest quote.., "she said she could, so she did" or something like that? Well, like in all things, missionary work is halfway accomplished when one starts believing in themselves. Tough times never last, but tough people do, and if we truly press forward with complete confidence in our abilities, I will be the advocate that anything will render possible. #deepintros with Elder Boyd- this week has me feeling all philosophical. We had a great week and I can't wait to tell y'all about it in THIS WEEKS VERSION OF- CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

A glorious event occurred on April 10th 1998. On this blessed day, a tender soul came into the world.. a gentle giant graced the Earth: Alexander Durham Carter. I am so grateful to know such an Elder, and this past week we were able to commemorate his stature with a surprise party. The plan was that I would connivingly discover his favorite cake and that we would convince him that we had to do, "service" with Brother Landers at a Chinese restaurant for a less active., and my only task was to secretly get him in the right place at the right time. I feel so proud of myself: we started with a 20 questions game.. "what's your favorite granola bar? Do you prefer long or short socks? What is your opinion of the economic recession of the mid-2000's? You know, the usual questions. Until nonchalantly I remarked.. "what's your favorite sweet tooth craving? Oh, do you like cake? What kind, perhaps? AND WALA, THE SECRET WAS REVEALED! We deserved one of those Grammy things for a stellar performance by a leading Elder. When we finally arrived, he didn't even know it was his surprise party! It wasn't until after the cake was brought out that he realized we weren't doing, "service" for Brother Landers. I love Elder Carter and I am so blessed to be his companion. :) 






This past week we were blessed to participate in yet another inspired Zone Conference of majestic proportions. I will go to the judgment bar believing that every single time you go into a meeting with prepared, prayerful questions- they will undoubtedly become answered amidst the divinity of discussion. 

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

I don't think we truly understand the power of this doctrine and promise. If we are congregated in the name of Jesus, we are given the absolute assurance that he will be there also. Personal doctrine by Boyd here: I think this is why a different Spirit is felt in groups than in private.. there is almost a community warmth that can be felt when multiple people of the same faith gather in his name. AND, subsequently, I think this is in part why we find answers to our questions so easily at these meetings and such... one of the time's when we are closest to the Savior, is when we are gathered in his name. "Nuff said. Got to church. You may be surprised to see a familiar face sitting next to you. ;)
BACK TO ZONE CONFERENCE:

Somehow in some weird, "time-traveling" way, this was already my fourth massive mingling of missionaries. Time really does fly by when you're having fun.. and what greater fun could there be than to preach the Gospel to the city of New Orleans? Than to rap with your investigators and dodge the doggos from the underworld? I didn't necessarily detect a "theme" to this conference, but I certainly enjoyed many feelings and impressions that I thought I'd share with Y'all:
"Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven- if it wasn't hard it wouldn't be a sacrifice."
"Rather than finding excuses to stay in, make excuses to get out and share the Gospel"
"The man who can drive his effort further, even when it gets painful, is the man who wins."
"The word, "can't" is false doctrine in the LDS Church."
"Your investigators understainding will increase by your own personal worthiness."
"We must understand that we need not be perfect to be baptized.. rather baptism gives us the opportunity to learn how to become perfect."
"The Atonement is infinite in scope and indidual in effect."

It was such a powerful feast. I felt well nourished by the good word of God and the goodness didn't stop there.
Side note: I was requested to sing a song for this conference, so the night before I put together an acoustic rendition of, "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy." So you can check that out on Facebook- and yes, that is sweat beading down my forehead.. that room was incubated at the heat of a million suns. 

Video courtesy of Baton Rouge Louisiana Mission- President and Sister Varner's Facebook page:


Something President Varner did as a part of this conference, and in conjunction with our recent challenge in the Book of Mormon, was he selected an elect few to bear their testimonies about what they've learned in the past 90 days. Considering I was called upon the last conference to share a few comments on heavenly discipline and the eternal effects of service, I was certain I wouldn't be chosen. But, as I looked across the room and met the gaze of my beloved Mission President.. his fingers pointed straight through my soul and into my testimony.

The Book of Mormon has really changed my life and my mission. I bore my sincerest testimony about the importance of real intent, and the love and example I have acquired from reading the sacred text. I know without a doubt that the Book of Mormon is true. God only entrusts a testimony of truth to those who will do something with it- and I know that for the purpose of bringing others to know of its divinity, I have been blessed with the perfect knowledge that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. In preparation for this disclosure in the conference, we were asked to write down our testimonies of what we had learned from highlighting the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For my testimony, I wrote a little combination of rhythm and meter, and thought I'd include it in this week's chronicles- the Book of Mormon has become my favorite book, and as I have come to understand more of its doctrine, I have come to understand more of myself. Hopefully, the Spirit will convey the sincerity and emotion in which this poem was intended:

90 Days by Elder Boyd
I've spent many 90 days,
Many have too, I'm sure
Most spent in monotony,
With nothing to report
And I've read many books,
For work and school and such,
But looking back on what I've read,
I don't remember much.
I've even read the Book of Mormon,
And on my knees I've prayed
But no study, or prayer, or time, or book read,
Can compete with the past 90 days. 
Day 1, I'll admit,
Was a different way to read
As my myriad of colored pencils
Made the fragile pages bleed,
But as my red scraped the page,
Something hit me deep to the core,
Just like my colored pencils
The Savior bled from every pore
And with that, my understanding grew,
Reading was no longer a fight, 
But a joy with answers to find,
As I highlighted the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I read about Nephi,
Who with courage, inspired me
To go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded
And sail the promised sea
And as I read of Jacobs boldness,
I couldn't help but think
Are we as serious with,
The commitments we're extending?
With clarity I continued,
The prophecies of Isaiah were tense,
But all that rendered confusing,
Through the Spirit, made perfect sense. 
The humility settled sweetly,
As King Benjamin from his tower demands
I faced my desk chair towards the temple,
And swallowed the natural man.
And Alma and his brethren,
However wicked they may be..
In their shortcomings and dissensions,
I saw similarities in me,
But as they entertained repentance,
I knew I could be forgiven to,
And experience exquisite joy,
While helping others learn the truth
For in their great example,
I know we can fast and pray even more
To accomplish the impossible,
And baptize the two hundred and four
And Ammon served with love,
A minister 100%,
As He went above and beyond-
With real and pure intent.
And as my yellow stained the page
I learned how faith is like a little seed,
And through patience, and diligence I'll find
I've grown a perfect knowledge tree. 
265 pages in,
Something remarkable ensued
As King Lamoni came to conversion,
And, surprisingly, I followed suit. 
Now the altar of sacrifice,
Didn't nearly look as tough,
When I realized all I am to Him,
Will always be enough.
And the warrior inside,
Raised a title of his own,
To remember who he is,
Especially when he feels alone...
I gained an admiration for patience
As orange streaked the words
I cast not away my confidence
And knew I too could endure.
For as a little child I read,
And finally tasted heaven,
As my eyes glorified the pages,
Of 3 Nephi Chapter 11. 
The real highlight of the Book,
No color code can compare,
To the appearance of our Savior
As he descended from heavens care.
And when he blessed the individual child
I couldn't help but weep,
As I thought of how loved I was
And the blessings he's given me
And the rainbow of my colors,
Came with his gospel strong and true,
As he set for the way, the truth, the light,
In a bright and boisterous blue.
And it became unthinkable to me,
That his sacrifice could completely withstand
And somehow I'm graven in the palm
Of his calloused worn hands
And from this witness I can testify, 
That the shepherd has visited his other sheep,
And has awoken the non-believers
From their deep apostacized sleep.
On to the Brother of Jared who showed me,
What it takes to find the promised land,
And when faith exceeds belief,
As one beholds the man. 
And Moroni taught me how to love
Unconditional charity divine,
For without heavenly affection, man is nothing,
Love is the key to eternal life.
And my faith can wrought great miracles, 
If through God's power I would believe,
I could change another's life
And move mountains across the seas.
And as echorted, I followed another  challenge,
And with sincere heart I prayed,
When immediately the Spirit,
Confirmed how I felt in every way.
Now once again, this book is true,
My feelings are confirmed, 
And I attribute this man I've become,
To everything I've learned.
That the Gospel is in everything,
You just need a mind to find,
The mysteries of the kingdom,
And doctrine of every kind.
This book can answer questions,
So don't wait for time to pass
Because God cannot answer
A question that hasn't be asked
This challenge has really changed me,
And there's not much left to say,
But that I sincerely owe it all,
To these past 90 days.

I love dogs. Now, some of you may refute this statement saying, "Elder Boyd, you are an anti-shih-tzu advocate" but might I rebuttal, not all dogs are the devil incarnate himself. Yes, all dogs go to heaven- except shih-tzu's. But that's beside the point- I'm sure there is a doggy bed next to God reserved for the golden retriever we met this week. Her name was Gracie and we are best friends. After a consecutive catastrophe of proselyting, I knew God was smiling down on us through this four-footed friend. We were almost, "over-persistent" in teaching her owner the Gospel because we needed an excuse to come and cuddle his pup! I know that God is in the details of our lives, and he knew on that day, I would be saved by Gracie. :)




So, here is a happy missionary moment for the week: I have found sincere joy and happiness in the success of others. I feel like THAT is the real success of one's mission in life- they say that love is when someone else's happiness is more important than your own- and I think we can apply the exact same principle to developing Christlike love. I feel so emotionally vulnerable in these situations where I see progress in these people as they come unto Christ. Like, everything is enough to make a grown man cry. 

This scripture really hit me this week (Doctrine and Covenants 18:15-16):

15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto minto the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!
The worth of souls is great in the sight of God and the worth of souls is great in the sight of missionaries who care about their investigators. You don't know true joy until you share a hymn book with someone who has come to know the Gospel. I don't know why, but a gesture so simple.. is oh, so powerful. The Spirit was felt in magnified ways this week. I know that I am meant to be here. I could never imagine not having met all of these wonderful people in New Orleans. I know that I will have many more mission miracles, but really this week exemplified that missionary work is all about the people. We should lose ourselves in the work... but always remember who we are... because when we can relate to our investigators, that's when the light gets in. This Gospel has the power to change lives and as the lifeguards in the pools of salvation, it is our charge to be thoroughly prepared and ready as first responder's, to rescue those who have not yet learned how to swim. "As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we find our own lives and our own happiness."

Well Y'all, I think that'll be the week of dreams. I'm really excited to keep up with this mission. I know that we each have an individual role to play in the lives of others and that the Gospel of Jesus Christ can really unite us all as one eternal family. I am excited to meet more of my brothers and sisters, and I challenge y'all to do the same! Have a great week my friends, you all deserve to find the golden retrievers of your life. Share a hymn book with a friend. Read the Book of Mormon. These are the things that will give you the joy you were destined to acquire. 

HAVE A GREAT WEEK Y'ALL, ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU!!


With an abundant amount of arduous affection,

Elder Boyd

FB Post For The Week:

In honor of my boy Connor Dyches getting his mission call.
"Of all that has been said, the greatest and most important duty is to preach the gospel."
- Joseph Smith
Happy Singing Sunday, y'all!
#LBRMSingingSunday



Jeremy sent over 90 pics this week.  I won't post them all.  Here are a few...











No comments:

Post a Comment