CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER TWELVE: The end of an era and the start of a beginning

Well, it happened.

I bet you're all ever so contemplative over what has happened to the ever so quirky Elder Boyd. Well, it has been a suspenseful week for all. Truly the cliff-hangers have been monumental. Through test and trial, we have had our fair BUT WE HAVE NOT DESPAIRED- because we're here to serve a righteous cause, truth gives us the strength to bear. I knew going into this week that things would be crazy, but above it all, I knew that whatsoever the Lord had planned for me, I was willing to do because I know that through him I can do all things. So, with that willingness in mind... and comfort in the Lord's perfect timing.. without further ado... ladies and gentleman.. boys and girls... Jews and Gentiles.. is the suspense killing you, yet? It sure killed me. 

Anyways...

I'M STAYING IN CHALMETTE. (But for some reason, my family already knew that and the surprise wasn't as...exhilirating for them)

Yes, I am a survivor, keep on surviving. Hallelujah, the Lord answers prayers. I've actually grown quite fond of this place surprisingly, so I'm super stoked to spend another transfer ministering In Chalmette. So, all the fancy details and whatnot. My new companion will be Elder Carter, and this will be his first time in New Orleans, so now I will have to be the strong one and help him acclimate. Imagine that? Big city anxiety Boyd is now taking the reins as the instructor of, "Surviving New Orleans: For Dummies." I am super stoked to be with Elder Carter. I hear he is quite the hilarious muchacho. We're also getting a new quadship- Elder Stoddard is headed to Downtown, and Elder Hernandez will be staying with a new companion who is ANOTHER NATIVE Spanish speaker. And get this... One of the sisters in our District is now training a native Spanish sister.. so there will be three fluent Spanish speakers in the District. I am learning Spanish Y'all. Oh and, Elder Orison is getting shipped off to Oakdale to be a boss over there, and there's one more thing...

I'm going to be the new District Leader! 

Yup- for some reason someone decided to trust this feisty ginger with leadership- but I couldn't be more excited. Fresh out of training, and I follow in my father's footsteps as I assume the lofty position. I really look forward to taking a leadership role and helping these other Elder and Sisters fulfill their missionary commission. Stay tuned for updates on how FREAKING AWESOME OUR DISTRICT MEETINGS ARE GONNA BE. 

I'm going to miss Elder Orison, he has truly been a fantastic trainer. I've learned so much form him and know he'll change the world wherever he goes.

Okay, enough about transfers, this week was a DOOZY and it looks like the title will so I present, with an ever so illustrious introduction, CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER TWELVE:

So, like I said, so much happened this week, I am just gonna word vomit for a good minute and hope the Spirit conveys how epic and awesome our adventures this past week were. 

We had exchanges with the Zone Leaders this past week in Tulane- which was pretty stinking awesome! I saw the more, "luxurious" side of New Orleans as Elder Teare and I took on the world. We met some wacko's let me tell ya. I have never been in such a diverse area where quite frankly, no one person is like the other. One minute we're talking to a Hindi priest who is trying to teach us to levitate through the good word of God, and then the next a man on a unicycle is asking me to pet his stuffed lemur while I hold his baseball bat. I can seriously say with all of the energy of my heart- New Orleans is a weird place. But with that exact same energy... I love it here. This is my holy land. This is the place where I have felt closest to Christ. And if it takes the courage to break up a drug deal to share a message about Christ, or to hold a stuffed lemur to acquire that courage and change- willingly, I will obey. So yeah, that was exciting.

















We also had a BAPTISM THIS WEEK, HOLLAH AT YA ELDER. One of the Spanish investigators, D., decided to enter the waters of baptism this past week. If you think baptisms are cool when you're at home, imagine what they're like on a mission? They're basically the most sliced of bread. It was so cool to see the result of so many months of work put into his conversion. He rocks around in a wheelchair and so it took THREE people to baptize him! It was an incredible trial of faith on his part, but I am so grateful to have witnessed such a feat and to call D. a brother in the fold. I was privileged to play the piano at such a prestigious event. For some reason, people think I play? Well, I guess I'll be playing a lot more on my mission after the eventful day. ALSO, I got to participate in D.'s confirmation! Isn't it so cool that when the prayer is uttered we say, "receive the Holy Ghost?" It's an invitation to accept his companionship. And one you'll never regret, I can promise you that. I felt the Spirit so strong as he attended church and shared his testimony. Missionary work WORKS my friends. May we all live worthy enough to find the elect we are destined to find. 



We had a pretty cool experience ourselves as English Elders this past week. So, recently, we haven't had much success in the commitment category.. or return appointments.. or in investigators actually wanting to learn more.. but this past week the Lord visited us in our afflictions. After District Meeting we randomly started driving around and decided to do some tracting in the area we ended up in.. No rhyme or reason to it, we just drove until we felt like this was the place we should be. Well, we knocked on a few doors- no luck. We were about ready to turn back when we felt the impression to knock on one more door.. a door with pillars. I mean, it looked like the Parthenon, who wouldn't wanna knock on that? So with faith in our tool belt, we clapped our knuckles on the door. Immediately, she opened up. We did our usual introduction, and she right away invited us in. She had a special glow about her, I just KNEW there was something special about this one. Well, we proceeded to teach her about our Church and get this...
Turns out, she has just gotten done with an abusive relationship. She has a one-year-old daughter whom she wants to endow with good morals. She's been Catholic her entire life but she's been looking for a change. And she's been trying to find peace... lasting peace.. in a way that can console her and her daughter consistently in hard times. BOOM, HOW ELECT IS THAT?? So, naturally, with the people down here... we almost didn't believe her.. like, are you joking? You actually care about our message and are perfectly inquisitive about everything we teach? Dreams do come true. And the more we talked about the church, the more she loved it.. the more involved she wanted to become. One thing leads to another, and then suddenly I was putting her on date for Baptism (of course, being guided by the Spirit..). She even said such golden quotes as.., "you know when something just feels.. right? That's this." and.. "I just feel an overwhelming and indescribable peace right now... I just know this Church is true.." We set up a follow-up appointment with her, and she wasn't home.. but I have a feeling that if we're diligent, this Gospel can really bless her life. This experience was a real strength to my testimony.. the Lord really does know us. He knows how we react to the circumstances he gives us and trusts us to follow the promptings we are given. There are people out there.. real people.. who can just benefit so much from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.. in this case she truly was, "hid from the truth because she knew not where to find it." This church is true. I can feel it. And those seeking it can too. I hope y'all know that this church and its fruits provide peace unparalleled. Don't believe me? Read the Book of Mormon, ask Heavenly Father, they'll tell ya. Yes indeed, this church is true. 

Well, in other news, we really strengthened member relations this past week. We had like.. for one.. a normal sit down dinner with the Farrells this week. (Yes, the Farrells become even more awesome AND THEY EVEN GOT ME DAIRY FREE ICE CREAM? LIKE WHAT? HEAVEN SENT? I THINK YES.) It felt a bit odd to actually go through the missionary dinner routine... I was asked about my family... imagine that [inside family joke]? And apparently, it was the Super Bowl this past week? Huh, who knew. We also ate a lot of hot dogs with Brother Landers this past week as I helped him replace his dishwasher. BOOM, acquiring new skills all over the place. Serving a mission will bless your entire life. Never will I ever take an automatic washer of dishes for granted again.  

But yeah, it was a pretty incredible week! 

I also DROVE ON THE LOUISIANA ROADS FOR THE FIRST TIME ON EXCHANGES WITH ELDER HERNANDEZ AND BY SOME MIRACLE WE ARE ALIVE. But basically it looks like an earthquake just wrecked every road down here, so beware if you ever traverse the streets of New Orleans. 

Well y'all, that was a pretty exciting week! Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers! I love you all so much and I sincerely pray that you're all reaping in the blessings of reading the Book of Mormon daily. Do it, I promise it will change your life. ELDER BOYD GUARANTEE! Alright, have a great week y'all! I LOVE Y'ALL.

With the utmost appreciation and love for you wonderful souls,

Elder Boyd












For his dad...


No comments:

Post a Comment