CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Hello, my friends,

It seems like only a week ago I was being shocked by the culture of a thousand suns. This week was mucho menos loco- which isn't necessarily hard to do when the previous week is packed full of chaos and coconuts! A much better, "c- word" for the festivities of this week would be, "confidence." We exercised some major hoopla this week which resulted in some pretty stinking sensational experiences- so put your confidence in the coconut and shake it all up cause its time for this weeks edition of the CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER FIFTEEN *coconuts not included*

Have you ever received a prompting that you didn't want to follow? Although the Spirit enticeth you to do good, your fear and personal preference overrule your priority tank? See, it's easy to follow the promptings that align with your will- the real test is when we're pushed to dissonance to follow the Father's will. That's why it's so crucial to make the will of the Father our own because then every righteous endeavor we undertake is accomplished by the means and motivation of mutual divine assignment. I felt a bit like Nephi this week... my faith was tried as I was entrusted with difficult promptings.. "do I really have to cut his head off?" The reality of Nephi's struggle hit hard- you don't realize how strong your faith is until God tells you to do something you don't want to do.  Of course, it makes no sense to our mortal minds, "his thoughts are not our thoughts"- it often takes a heavenly perspective to find reason in decapitating promptings. Above it all, I've learned that God's way is always THE way- no matter what. If someone who is all powerful and all seeing and always present asks you to do something, you'd think the logical response would be to do it, eh? But we too often, "murmur" and mimic Laman and Lemuel a little more often than we care to admit.  BUT FEAR NOT LITTLE FLOCK, if there's a Laban in front of you, there's a Nephi inside of you- and we can all see the eventual benefit of the harder right over of the easier wrong.

Okay, spirit nugget over. I just found this to be such an inspiring concept this week. True faith comes in following difficult promptings. I'm learning new things every day, isn't this Gospel just the greatest?

Anyways, ON WITH THE WEEK.

We just slew the streets of Chalmette, quite metaphorically. In the quiet subdivisions of East New Orleans, we braved the valleys of the shadow of death. Y'all, the rumors of Louisiana are true. It IS ACTUALLY QUITE HUMID AND A BIT TOASTY MMKAY? My poor unfortunate skin- in pain, in need (of aloe vera.) I didn't think it possible to be sunburnt amidst the overcast- but MAYBE THE BIGGEST MIRACLE OF MY MISSION IS IN MY STELLAR  SKILLZ OF FINDING IMPOSSIBLE WAYS TO GET SKIN SCORCHED. I guess the caveat for sunscreen is that its properties don't apply to carrot tops, that must be it. Gee willakers, if this is mediocre heat, I best be prepared for the HOT-NADO this summer! I'll be fine, SPF 3000 is an enchanting cream. Really, I'm just being dramatic for comedic relief, it actually feels nice to be blessed by the radiance of the sun. In the least flaunty way possible, I hope all you snow bodies at home are appreciating that powdered bliss. Sunny days help tracting go by MUCH easier. I just thought a little anecdote about the constant struggle of 2% of the world's population would brighten y'all's President's Day.

We had some awesome teaching opportunities this week:
I know I shared this scripture last week, but dang we are really likening the scriptures to ourselves this transfer with all these Live Action Scripture Roleplays.

"speak the thoughts that I shall put into your hearts, and you shall not be confounded before men;"

We'll call him John- God lead us to him, and without us knowing, he was the one we were supposed to see that day. Elder Carter and I got into the nitty-gritty of these two streets out here in the East and compiled quite the pool of potential investigators. Well, on this particular day, we set out to meet one of the more promising ones- but she didn't answer the door. Instead, in front of us stood a college student, listening to New Orleans grunge through his headphones, with quite the impressive beard. Immediately, he sparked an interest in our calling, and when we told him we were missionaries he said, "I'm a college student, you think I have time for God?" To which I promptly and confidently (this is where the confidence comes in...) told him, "If you're too busy to read your scriptures and pray, you are far busier than God ever intended you to be." I felt no remorse, and at this very moment, I feared no man. It felt like something, 'clicked" in me- that I had acquired a very bold confidence that would propel me through our ensuing conversation. Well, John had quite the opinion on my bold statement, and the colorful discussion we were having quickly elevated into a contentious trap.. but the strangest thing is, I didn't feel nervous in the slightest. I actually felt the comfort of the Spirit and knew that everything was going to be okay- well, things got better from there. John continued to say that we were, "forced" into our religion, that our prophet could very well be lying, and that he wouldn't believe any of the stories we told him unless he heard a miracle.. then he said he might believe if it was good enough. Y'all, this was like a segment in the movies where the audience lies in anticipation to see, "what will the missionary do?" Well, Elder Carter handled the more technical questions, with confidence might I add, and shared a personal story about his conversion- that; however, beautifull spoken, was not enough. He just couldn't relate to the Spirit. He then turned to me and asked for my miracle.. but it was at this very moment that I knew he was neither worthy nor prepared for my spiritual experiences- I was to keep those sacred. He told us, "he knew all about Mormons.." and although we asked him if he'd rather believe a man of God, he wasn't having it. His contentious countenance felt nearly condescending like he had ascended atop his high tower and was looking down on us scrambling Mormons with the stiffest neck and haughtiest heart. Remember what I said about promptings earlier? Well, this was the turning point of the entire visit. As I sat pondering what I could say or what he had said... I felt the quietest assurance and was whispered two simple, yet so profound words..." finish him." HUH? WHAT? LIKE, SPIRITUALLY CUT HIS HEAD OFF? It felt like Mortal Combat and I was expected to deliver the finishing blow.. well, I decided it better to not trifle with the Spirit so I just started talking.. and THAT'S when the scripture came to life... Autopilot: on. I was aware of the situation but the words as they came out of my mouth were not my own... but God's. I proceeded to testify with more power and authority than ever about the divine organization and striking similarities between Christ's church and his restored church. Instantaneously I saw his countenance change. By some measure of unspeakable power, he felt the Spirit. After the Spirit, "finished him" we scheduled a return appointment to deliver the Book of Mormon- his heart was quite literally softened. This man had experienced an exact transition of a "mighty change in heart." That was a LONG EXPERIENCE, I know, but it was worth telling. God really does have our backs and so long as we follow the Spirit, no matter how difficult, we will NOT be confounded before men. For they that be with us will ALWAYS be more than they that be with them. 

So yeah, that was AWESOME! Something I really think I've acquired on my mission, which I don't attribute to myself at all, is to look at everything in a spiritual perspective and attribute it all to God! Like, the smallest portion of me has adapted the Ammon attitude of, "boasting not of myself, but of my God" which I think is a pretty spectacular change. Hopefully one day those fractions will add up and I'll be serving and slicing arms all over the place! (Just kidding... I've never really considered myself a disarming fellow. 

We also met this fly investigator on our first day out tracting and recently we've been seeing a lot of progress with her! I mean, she's basically the next Relief Society President of the Chalmette branch- when we arrived to teach her she had already prepared for goodie baskets. Yeah, that's right. Cashews included. And she retains information well and asks great questions.. which isn't quite the accomplishment on a normal basis, but let me tell ya, your standards go WAY DOWN when you're sharing the Gospel with the brick walls of New Orleans.."Wait, you actually want to learn MORE about how this infinite gospel is vital to your salvation?" And we've actually seen some stellar results by keeping in contact with her consistently throughout the week on Facebook. The only reason she didn't come to church yesterday was that her car broke down.. and to prove it, she sent us a photo of her car being towed away! How radical is that? Not that her car is being impounded.. but that she's actually accepting the Gospel and recognizing it's eternal importance in her life! BOOM, FIREPOWER. And just yesterday we were divinely lead to this FREAKING fantastic family- have you ever seen Captain Phillips? Well, this chap is an actual majestic mariner for the homeboy himself. And when we were teaching him, he was vibing it, ya know, but when his wife came in THATS when the Spirit of God like a fire started burning. Essentially, her niece was converted of the course of a year- and auntie was very impressed with the Christlike love and attention those SISTER missionaries gave to her niece. "THEY EVEN GAVE HER A MATTRESS"- it was pretty funny that a soft resting place qualified for Christlike heroes. SO, as a result, she's been scouring, "high and low.. across the mountains and the sea.. in the deepest CREVICE.." it got pretty intense.. to find some Mormons. Like.. really? It's not like we're hiding... I mean, we quite literally have over 70,000 young lads and lassies all over the world knocking on your door to tell you all about what we believe. Pretty secretive, eh? So she told us to bring her by some manuals.. because she's destined for ministry... And she wants to adopt our standards and phases (i.e baptism, confirmation, temple work) to be the ultimate minister! And she wants to have a Mormon bible study at her house to help her neighbors come back to the fold.  So in short, Captain Phillips wife wants to be Mormon without knowing it and is holding a Book of Mormon study group every Wednesday night in preparation for her temple attendance. Haha, how bonkers is that? They were quite the refreshing bunch for sure. And it's so cool to see the fire.. not necessarily my effluent greenie fire.. but a fire nonetheless in the eyes of someone who has seen the enormous effect of the Gospel of Jesus Christ on the lives of others. Ah, I feel like a proud father, watching all my Southern kiddos read the Book of Mormon and keep commitments. 

Let's see, in terms of non-missionary work (which is the smallest margin because apostolic work is love and life)- we've seen some mighty adorable doggies this week. Like the CUTEST Dalmatian and Great Dane mix, let me tell ya, I fangirled for a solid five minutes outside of this man's gate just swooning over his pup. We've done a mucho ton of service this last week, and I'm officially your friendly neighborhood can sorter. I've quite frankly accomplished the fest of sorting cans for three hours straight. JUST when you think there are precision and order.. someone takes two cans and the WHOLE SYSTEM IS OUT OF ORDER. But really, I just love the WHOLE atmosphere of the South, they're quite the jolly bunch. 

Well Y'all,  that was quite the week, eh? A whole lot of confidence went into the weekly endeavors and so I CHALLENGE YOU. YES. YOU. To get out there and change the world, one testimony at a time. You don't know how much power you have until you see it effects on others. YOU TOO can change hearts. Can humble the high and haughty of the world. In even the tiniest spirit exists the capacity to thrash the strongest nation's. So, be a thrasher. You are SO MUCH stronger than you know and so much greater than you realize. Have a sensational week y'all, this Gospel is the truest thing- it's the easiest true or false question you'll ever answer. I love it with all my heart, might, mind, and strength, and if you're struggling or you fail to see the individual effect it has on your life.. try it out, I promise that there really is no sorrow that the Gospel can't heal. I love you all! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers, I am HONORED TO BE YOUR MISSIONARY!! :)

With quite the collection of confidence and compassion,

Elder Boyd

Elder Boyd and Elder Carter



This week's Facebook Post:



What greater comfort hath a man than to know that living prophets and apostles walk the earth?
I think no musical magnificence can emulate my sincere appreciation for these divinely appointed leaders.
How can you NOT smile and just grab the nearest guitar and sing knowing that the reality of a modern day Moses exists today?
Truly,
We thank thee O God for a Prophet.

Pictures for this week... 






















No comments:

Post a Comment