HOLIDAY EDITION: CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: WEEK FIVE

MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL! If you're receiving this, you have made it through the mystical Monday of transfer week. Yes, on transfer weeks P Days are on Tuesdays- so I commend you for surmounting the stress of "no-email Mondays." That probably only affected my family, but for you souls who were waiting on your next edition of the Chalmette Chronicles, fear not, BECAUSE ITS TIME FOR THIS WEEKS HOLIDAY EDITION OF THE LEGENDARY, THE EVER SO AWESOMETACULAR, CHALMETTE CHRONICLES (because I survived my first transfer, praise the Prince of Peace). *Woo*.

Goodness me, oh my did this week feel long. Who would have ever thought that a Monday would be such a blessing in my life? Regardless, we adapted, we improvised, and we overcame. Look at that, doing hard things left and right, preaching the gospel, and fighting the fight for salvation. In the wise words of most of the people down here, "I really can't complain." This week was packed with some missionary miracles and some enchanting experiences- so let's get on with it y'all! (Yes, I have adopted a Southern twang- some would call me, Louisianan, others would call me still scrawny and white.)

So, the members down here are truly mighty in Spirit. This past week we had the blessed opportunity of acquainting ourselves with the ever so legendary Brother L. We went to his house for lunch, and I was making spaghetti and he splatted the spoon on the sauce, so I was the victim of a stained shirt and he felt bad so he lent me one of his 5XL's- (see attached picture). That wild sentence pretty much sums up the Louisiana experience. Brother L. is a hilarious man who has a knack for, "reading people." So we patiently received our readings over a lunch of splatted spaghetti, and thoroughly enjoyed our time spent with such a legend. The other members down here are true laborers in Zion as well. Our Branch Presidents family does everything in the ward: his wife is the Young Women's President and makes the programs and plays the Clavinova in Sacrament Meeting, he is the Branch President, his daughter conducts the music, and his son orchestrates the sacred ordinance of the Sacrament. I am truly humbled as I see how much these people do with what little they are given. It's incredible to see how the Lord provides a way for the work to be hastened, no matter the inconvenience. 

I am LOVING the people down here. Being called, "my babies" at the food bank and listening to the many original tongues people speak in, are truly the soundtracks to my salvation. I can't get over how humble these followers of Jesus Christ are- and amidst it all, they showcase divine love for the missionaries- I mean, for goodness sakes, they even cook dairy free meals in a state submerged in luscious yellow butter. Needless to say, I am very appreciative for the fruits of this church and the efforts they make towards the salvation of mankind. 

This week, I finally participated in my first Zone Conference. This particular one was a COMBINED ZONE SPECTACULAR with the convergence of the Slidell and New Orleans Zones. The theme: ugly Christmas sweaters. I'm not sure we completely obeyed that standard because our quadship repped some utterly chic Star Wars jumpers, but ya know, you can't punish beauty. 

Anyways, the conference was spiritually sensational. Essentially, you all meet in the chapel and receive instruction from the Zone Leaders and the Senior Couples for two hours, and then you enjoy a home-cooked meal in the cultural hall (in this particular space we were gluttons of the feast as we enjoyed the ever so coveted tri-tip from the great hills of Utah) and then you embark back to the chapel to close out the meeting with "go-home testimonies." Basically, it's a Gospel-Palooza of substantially awesome proportions and I love it. The musical numbers established a Spirit-Conducive environment. Even yours truly sang a little ditty- which sporadically turned acapella, unbeknownst to me- but we endured to the end! We even enjoyed a seminar about stress, how about that? I felt more adjusted as I acquainted myself with the other missionaries of the area. However, I've mulled over this idea long enough in my mind to share it openly. It is one thing to be popular and loved among missionaries, to be liked by others, and to be considered, "such a cool guy"- but it's another thing to be loved by God. To be obedient despite the likeness of your fellow missionaries and to serve with all of your heart, mind, and strength. So who's side would you rather be on- other missionaries, or God's? Pleasing people can only take you so far- but pleasing God will take you through the eternities. Be obedient. Be a disciple of Jesus Christ. Gove God every reason to bless you and he will. Who cares what other people think- if you are serving your God there is no better thing you could be doing. 'Nuff said. 

Zone Conference was awesome and it commemorated the end of my first transfer in the mission- I'm basically a veteran- not really- but I'm less green, as they say, and still so very white. I'm  learning so much about myself and about this gospel, it's just sincerely life-changing. These next two years shouldn't just be the best two years of my life..but FOR my life. Going on a mission is like running into a burning building so God can refine you- and when we become molded into his predestined spirit children- we become firefighters in the furnace of affliction and are to try are best to extinguish the embers of the adversary. I feel an ever-present need for constant refining- I am just very grateful to a Lord who is patient enough with my agency to help me achieve my heavenly potential. Becoming what God wants me to be is a process. But we need to love the process and love what the process produces. Submission is a virtue. And thankfully, I have a whole mission to hunker down on this whole potential thing. I'll say it again: when we are immersed in the Lord's work, the Lord works on us. 

In terms of missionary work, we encountered quite the opposition this week- but we reaped in the blessings of endurance. Our investigator T. succumbed to one of his addictions this past week and we weren't able to meet with him as often as we had liked. However, the Lord's merciful hand is in everything and we were able to deliver a touching lesson on repentance and help him further prepare for his baptismal date on December 30th. I am so freaking excited, Y'all don't even know. C. has kinda blown us off this week, so we're gonna exercise patience and persistence and try again next week, but it has certainly paved the way to scout out some more draft picks and get a new roster on the floor. 

Elder Stoddard and I went on exchanges this week and we decided to try something different this week: fun finding. Some people might consider it an oxymoron, but let me tell you firsthand, all things are possible through Christ. We went around and shared the Light the World message with every single person we saw this week, and something hit me: when we spread the message with joy, the joy of the message is felt. Something very simple, I know- but more people were genuinely interested when we had fun in what we were doing than when it was a monotonous routine. When you share the Gospel, act like you love it, because you should! We have the FULNESS OF TRUTH- DOESN"T THAT JUST JAZZ YOU UP? It was a well-needed epiphany that changed my perspective. Also, we finally got to carol this week at a trailer park, and after instructing the district in carol etiquette, we had the time of our lives. We sang to unanswered doors. We sang to cars. We sang to people on the street. Hey, whatever you gotta do to spread the Gospel, you DO IT. Basically, it was quite the joyful hullabaloo. 

On to our favorite segment of normal people details: It flooded this week for the first time in my Louisiana ministry. That was a hoot and a half. We were forced to go inside until the lakes on the street were drained of their soggy sorrows. The members of the Branch put together Christmas boxes for us and delivered them this past week: once again, the members are awesome. 

I received some touching letters this week, thank you for those you precious people. But to the person who neglected to sign their letter or provide a return address- I will find you and I will write you. My family once again are incredibly awesome and the envy of the mission. We went to a funeral this weekend and I conducted the music- that was pretty suave. Um, I'm loving the words of the apostles and the instruction from the scriptures. If you aren't reading your scriptures every day, repent- and start reading. They will change your life if you let them. Elder Boyd promise. :)

Well, I think that's all he wrote for this past week. I hope you all have an incredible holiday and embrace the light of the world that is Jesus Christ. Treat yourselves. Go do something nice for your family. Spread the Gospel. Eat a cookie. Be the kind of person you wanted to be yesterday, today. Go change the world, one light at a time. The next time I email Y'all will be the day after Christmas, so I hope you all have such an incredible holiday season. Remember the reason for the season, but have such a special time with your families. Don't ever take for granted the infinite amount of blessing Heavenly Father has afforded you with. You're eternally blessed more than you'l ever know. MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!! ELDER BOYD IS GRATEFUL FOR THE GIFT THAT IS HAVING ALL OF YOU IN HIS LIFE. 

With so much holiday love and appreciation, it may just snow again in Louisiana,

Elder Boyd































No comments:

Post a Comment