CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: WEEK THREE

Hello sweet family and friends. Yes, another week down, I'm basically a veteran. Almost. Not really. I wish. But everything in time and the fifth principle of the Gospel IS endure to the end, so we must adhere to what we're taught and press forward. This week kinda flew by, but it was FULL of some experiences for sure, and maybe a few missionary milestones.. (DUN DUN DUUUUNN) stay tuned as we enter into... CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: WEEK THREE EDITION.

WOW, what a week. I'm gonna do my best to remember the highlights cause quite frankly, stuff just happens down here, and you don't know whether or not you should retain that information forever, or if it's best never to remember it again.  

Louisiana is quite the wonderland. BUT I FINALLY GOT TO EXPERIENCE THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG PART OF NEW ORLEANS AND OH MY LANTA WAS IT ENCHANTING. My dear friends, we went to Downtown, and it was everything I hoped it would be and more. We toured the French Quarter (Spoiler Alert: they're all Vietnamese and if you speak French to them they get quite wound up) and enjoyed a grand tour of Jackson Square. It was a real New Orleans experience. Everything from the wacky weirdos to the dazzling architecture- the aroma of gumbo amidst the sounds of Cajun haggling. It was wonderful. And I took a plethora of pictures so you all could experience it with me! 

Now on to the missionary fun: Elder Orison and I conquered our, "Safeguards for Using Technology" training this week in preparation for technology in our mission! I'm very excited to make use of technology in furthering the work of the Lord! 

We also did some insane tracting this week- like, we met some CHARACTERS let me tell you. I've never been condemned for preaching about an illusion in a reality of time that is only an illusion if I establish my reality and the foregrounds of Jesus, before. (didn't make sense to me either.) So there's a first for everything I suppose. And I encountered my first "laughing door approach." Mr. Washington opened up the door, and right when I was about to LAY DOWN the principles of the Gospel- he laughed at me. He called me a scrawny white boy (true) who, "a'int know nothing about the word" and proceeded to question my qualifications as a minister of Jesus. If that wasn't enough, he said the Bible didn't talk about an apostasy... so imagine his surprise when this scrawny white kid opened his eyes to Amos 8: 11-12. Not so scrawny anymore, eh Mr. Washington.  😊

Definitely learning to be agreeable, patient, diligent, and compassionate out here in the Bayou. Among a multitude of other things. Our journey's continued as we scavenged the Earth for the less actives and ripened fruit of the area- and stumbled upon this sweet old lady with Parkinson's who gave us an orchard of apples. We also met this less active who said he needed food because all he had was a pomegranate and two boxes of Cheez-its (fine dining).  So I proceeded to offer him the Nature Valley bar from my bag. However confused he was, it felt good to serve. I also gave a dollar to these kids who said they needed it to ride the bus, but we later found out that I was bamboozled as we saw them frolicking across the highway with my dollar in hand. But hey, intention right? 

Then we get to the milestones.. ladies and gentleman.. Elder Boyd has OFFICIALLY INVITED SOMEONE TO BE BAPTIZED AND THEY ACCEPTED. But wait.. there's more.. WE HAVE A DATE. DECEMBER 30TH. But we a'int stopping there y'all.. ANOTHER ONE. We meet a former investigator, T.B., on Thursday- he apparently messages Janet Jackson on the daily and builds baby bottle cleaners- but we had an epic lesson of magical proportions, and I felt prompted, so without permission from Elder Orison I WENT FOR IT AND HE ACCEPTED. And we're gonna get his son in on it too.. who is also named T.. AND, with all glory to the Spirit, I invited our investigator C to be baptized contingent on his finding of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon- and HE said yes. AND they both agreed to come to church.. So yes, people in Louisiana are actually NOT impossible to convert, and we're hoping for the best with our home-boys T and C. 

I also experienced my first, "mission exchange" this week as the Spanish Zone Leaders came to visit. We had a grand ole time with them, and I have NOW taught four ukulele chords to TWO Elders. Mark my words, this will be a ukulele mission when I am through with this bayou. But that was awesome. 

I'm learning a gargantuan amount in the Book of Mormon, have started reading Jesus the Christ, and am thoroughly appreciating the constant companionship of the Spirit in my life. This week was actually really hard, but with hard things come great miracles, and we're appreciative of that. 

I've had a bit of a physical limitation this week- my stomach and head have been a bit achy of sorts. But through grandiose prayer and fasting, I've been able to persevere. I definitely feel the delivering power of the Lord in my life. He is quite the merciful friend, and I really appreciate him. 

Yesterday we had fast and testimony meeting in our branch, and it's basically over when everyone bears their testimony. We got another Sister, Sister Banner, yesterday and so now we have seven missionaries in the Branch. That's half the branch. We always have the blessed opportunity of bearing our testimonies and sharing with the other seven people our love of the Gospel. It's great! 

I think i'm adjusting more? But I definitely feel the struggle of acclimation. It'll just take time as I'm told, and the more I preach, the faster it flies. SO I'm gonna keep preaching. :) 

Now to the normal people details:

We've had some crazy meat this week. Meat that hasn't made me feel the best, and so I;m gonna be much more cautious with Walmart expiration dates. 

I have officially had gumbo AND jambalaya, and lemme say, they know how to food down here. I got another pillow from Elder Hernandez this week, and so that was a blessed tender mercy. Mr. Fluffy and me are just chilling. 

We listened to some legendary devotionals this week, so I'd challenge you all to get on LDS.org and experience the greatness! 

My companion loves Elder Klebingat... LOVES HIM... let me tell you!  He quotes him every chance he gets. I've definitely identified some weaknesses that I'd like to overcome on this mission. I know that with the help of the Lord and Ether 12:27, I can turn them into strengths.

IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LIGHT THE WORLD INITIATIVE YOU TOTALLY SHOULD. Its one of my favorite things when we get a door approach to watch the video with us.. I love the Christmas season, and although it's a sauna down here, I can feel the Christmas Spirit that y'all have with you up there. Remember why we celebrate, and always remember to look outwards!

I think that's about all that I can curmudgeon this week, so thank you all so very much for reading. Your diligence will be rewarded! I love you all so very much, as I say every week, but it's true. I'm giving y'all a big Southern hug from down here in the sketchlands. Actually.. it's more like the ChalESTIAL KINGDOM am I right? Hehe, make the most with what you're given, I've learned that very quickly. 

Anyways, I hope you all are having such sensational holidays and have some gnarly weeks, ya hear? Elder Boyd loves each and every one of you and prays for y'all fifty times a day. You're infinitely more than you can possibly imagine. Keep the faith and trust in the Lord- he's a pretty great guy. I'll talk to you guys next week!

With copious amounts of appreciation and adoration,

Elder Boyd


















No comments:

Post a Comment