Wild Ride

I'm sharing my first email I just received this evening from Jeremy. Although this letter is somewhat personal in nature, I'm willing to share his treasured words with each of you.  [I have edited part of his email.]  

This is a side of a mission many do not see.  Leaving your family for two years is not an easy thing to do.  Emotions are raw.  Heartache, grief, and every other emotion under the sun comes out the moment you say goodbye.  

These sweet Elders and Sisters do not get paid for their service.  They actually work and save their hard earned pennies in order to leave home and share the gospel of Jesus Christ with others in various parts of the world.

So, next time one of these Elders or Sisters knock on your door, know that they are doing so with great faith.  Look into their eyes.  They are someone's son or daughter.  Be kind.  You don't have to agree to let them into your home or attend church; however, you might be glad you did.

Without further adieu, here is Elder Boyd's (edited) first email home:

Hey family whom I love so dearly, 

I’ve arrived safely in the MTC [Missionary Training Center] and I’m allowed to tell you [typically Elders or Sisters only get to write home once a week].   Let me tell you, I had a wild ride [referring to his flight/shuttle to the MTC], but I know I’m supposed to be here. Every day really does feel like a week but it’s a pretty splendiferous week - so I’m grateful. 

PDAY [Personal Day.  A day where they can write home, do laundry, buy groceries, etc.] is on Tuesday.

I’m in a trio with Elder S. and Elder W. (they’re giants). I’m a zone leader. 

I saw Numia Kennerley today. 

I really love you guys so much. I got my bag today (thanks mom) and my name tag. I’m unpacking tonight. 

The MTC is awesome. 

I just wanted to tell you that I love you all, and I carry you all with me in my mind, my heart, and on my name tag. 

Until Tuesday, with the utmost appreciation and love,


Elder Boyd 
Sent from my iPad









No comments:

Post a Comment