THE GONZALES GAZETTE: CHAPTER SEVEN

My dearly beloved, 

Elder Jones loves using that word-- "beloved"-- and I guess I have already climbed aboard the "charity train" *choo choo.* No, but seriously, I just want to testify that there are miracles in the midst of our sweat. That if we feel like we're having one of those, "holy Hades it is hotter than a freshly baked black forest ham" moments-- the Lord is even in THOSE details of our lives. If my sunscreen application in any way represents the caliber of my consecration-- I would be a high priest in the holiest of temples. My. Lanta. God certainly leverages our trials for our benefit and growth-- and for the development of others-- but it really is a matter of attitude. The temperature on the outskirts of Baton Rouge may not change, but my outlook certainly can. No, the degrees won't get any cooler-- but I believe in an almighty creator who can certainly strengthen our weather glands to help us to endure if we only exercise faith and reverent enthusiasm in His power. It has been a blessed and smoking week here in the splendorous South-- but I couldn't be happier on account of the abundance of blessings we have received. I hope y'all feel blessed even in the mess-- I know God will take care of the rest. WELCOME BELOVED, TO THE GONZALES GAZETTE: CHAPTER SEVEN. 

Something I've been thinking about recently is the value of sacrifice and how integral it is to our potential and purpose here in this life. 

Have you ever thought of mortality as a combination of decisions to sacrifice? Everything we do in daily life is a sacrifice, whether good or bad. If we exercise faith, we are in turn sacrificing fear. If we choose to not play basketball on Sundays, we are sacrificing an assumed reputation with Coach Sabbath. If we choose to serve missions... we are sacrificing two years of something good, for something better. Sacrifice is a choice-- thankfully. THANKFULLY we aren't unblemished lambs, strapped to an altar against our immediate will, and offered up in gratitude to the King of Progression. We have the choice, and simply put, we can choose to receive the blessings of heaven.... or not. That is the essence of sacrifice, giving up something good for something better. You can be what you want to be-- no sacrifice involved-- but why not be better. Why not be... consecrated? Isn't that what sacrifice is? A consecrated emblem offered as a token of appreciation and love. We can BE sacrifices! No, sacrifice does not mean death... we can; however, be a consecrated emblem, offered up unto the Lord as examples of virtue and gratitude and love. God accepts us as we are-- but he *favors* us more when we come unto Him with broken hearts and contrite spirits. This is OUR sacrifice-- 

The tumult and the shouting dies;The captains and the kings depart.Still stands thine ancient sacrifice,An humble and a contrite heart.

And ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.
And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not. -3 Nephi 9:19-20

It is said that the Savior died of a broken heart-- ultimately, in the end, he gave his life as a sacrifice for all mankind. Likewise, when we offer our spiritual sacrifice of a broken heart, we most emulate the Savior and his eternal purposes and potential. The blessings he received on account are but a small glimpse into our eternal reward if we choose to sacrifice. 

Captains and kings have no choice but to bow before the true royalty of heaven-- Satan stands still in fear when we remember who we are. His entire purpose is to convince us that we aren't really who God thinks we are. He mocks our identity with such pathetic language--"son of Man, worship me." Our power comes in remembering on the contrary, who we really are-- we are beings of progression. We are equipped with bodies-- which makes Satan extremely jealous-- and the power of God unto salvation. We are byproducts of an infinite and eternal sacrifice. It is not mere, "coincidence" that we receive the blessings we do-- there is a higher power who remembers us, loves us, and blesses us as we remember and love Him. 

So yes, choose to sacrifice. Choose to receive the blessings in heaven that are prepared for you. 

OUR WEEK: 

We welcomed another companion to our duo in the past few days... ELDER JONES! Elder Jones just happens to be one of my best friends and my future companion. He is the most loving, comfortable with himself, kind, methodical, goofy, and humble Elder you'd ever meet! He has already been such an example to me of how we should minister as Latter-day Saints. I have been personally ministered to by him and I thank him for the indelible influence he has already left in my life. I am excited about the next few months together. He will truly be a friend forever. 

And as with all things... as we welcome the future, we say goodbye to the present. Elder Paul hops on a jet plane (Delta, to be exact) and is headed straight to the OTHER University of the Lord. Elder Paul has certainly taught me a lot. He is a diligent, ambitious, hardworking, and commanding presence. He knows how to get things done. Both of my companions have great and inspiring testimonies of the Gospel that have absolutely strengthened my faith. They are stalwart in the holy discipleship and I am grateful to have served with each one of them. I truly do believe that my endurance in past areas has authorized me for these blessings in the latter part of my mission. The Lord never ceases to be a Lord of blessings. Not of any worthiness of my own of course-- he is also a MERCIFUL God. I am just grateful to have been put through what I've gone through so that I could be where I am. I love my mission and the lessons and character it has taught me. I know that Jesus Christ is real-- I know that he will come again and I know that he loves us. I may not know all things-- but I do know these things for sure. I know they are true. No grey area about it-- the Savior lives-- and the more we understand that eternal principle, the more his sacrifice can change us and our hearts. 

MIRACLE MOMENTS FROM THIS WEEK: 
  • Our recent convert is officially a Preach My Gospel member. He messaged us last night saying, "Hey, I'm about to read my purpose as a missionary, is there anything else I should know about?" TALK ABOUT THE ELECT. We are so blessed. 
  • One of the dear friends we have been working with, who hasn't necessarily been as receptive to the Gospel as he has to our offering of service said, "man, if everyone could be a *Mormon* this world, would be a much better place." We're praying that he will find himself in a position to recognize the sweet peace the Gospel brings. 
  • We had a most revelatory companionship study the other day that basically addressed everything I've been praying about in the past few weeks. God knows our needs and how to perfectly fulfill them. 
  • When reading the Book of Mormon with one of our most progressing people, we left them on a cliff-hanger when-- SPOILER ALERT-- Nephi cuts off Laban's head-- following our departure on the spiritual climax she said, "well y'all just made it too interesting, now I HAVE to read it." 
  • We were, "crossed over" by a South Eastern All-Star that we've been teaching. The biggest miracle in that is that my ankles are still intact. 
I TESTIFY OF A LOVING GOD. ONE OF MIRACLES AND JOY. We were walking and sweating and wheezing (kidding) and we opened our scriptures to, 

O my son, I desire that ye should deny the ajustice of God no more. Do not endeavor to excuse yourself in the least point because of your sins, by denying the justice of God; but do you let the justice of God, and his bmercy, and his long-suffering have full sway in your heart; and let it bring you down to the dust in chumility.And now, O my son, ye are called of God to apreach the word unto this people. And now, my son, go thy way, declare the word with truth and soberness, that thou mayest bbring souls unto repentance, that the great plan of mercy may have claim upon them. And may God grant unto you even according to my words. Amen. -Alma 42:30-31 
And immediately two people were provided for us to talk to who ended up being very interested. Hilariously in fact, when we asked her if she'd pray about what we shared, she said, "I don't know I'll have to pray about it. 

Really, I just am so happy. I feel joy. To be a missionary is to feel joy-- I know that to be true. God is so merciful to rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine. If y'all ever find yourself near Gonzales, stop and take a visit... you'll find yourself walking on holy ground. These members are celestial. The work is heavenly. I testify of Jesus Christ and his role as our Savior. I know that he loves us! I know that he is in the details of our lives. I know that as we consecrate ourselves as the sacrifices we are, we will unlock the blessings of heaven. GOD IS MERCIFUL AND MIRACULOUS Y'ALL! He loves you-- if you don't believe him, ask Him. See what he has to say about it. Companions are divine, we are divine, and life is good! I am excited for some more adventures with Elder Jones and am grateful for the ones I've had with Elder Paul, in HIS work! I love being a missionary! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU! HAVE A GREAT WEEK Y'ALL! ELDER BOYD LOVES YA! 

From a beloved Elder,

Elder Boyd 

This Week's Pics/Video:


















 










No comments:

Post a Comment