THE GONZALES GAZZETTE: CHAPTER ONE

God bless America and all those at home.

Those who are truly converted are willing to sacrifice all things for the Gospel. Now, on the topic of sacrifice-- sacrifice is not so much of giving up everything all at once for God, but to be willing to give up when asked. Take, the altar for example. Is my sacrificial table filled to the brim with my desires, actions, passions, and thoughts from day one? Probably not. If we were to give up everything, that second we were given something, we wouldn't learn from anything. We can't expect to help anybody feel like a somebody if we are just like everybody. Leveraging our passions is the only way we can progress. We must use our desires... to grow us. Giving ourselves to God is a process-- a step-by-step donation to the cause of mercy. And I can't wait to tell y'all where I learned all this-- in a NEW EDITION...DARE I SAY...THE GAZZETTE. THE GONZALES GAZZETTE: CHAPTER ONE.

 C.S. Lewis says it best...

Christ says, ‘Give me All. I don’t want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good. I don’t want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree down. … Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked—the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead. In fact, I will give you Myself: my own will shall become yours.

Has the day of miracles ceased? You tell me. 
If you're asking for signs, call me the quidditch king, cause I'm here to satisfy the seekers. However, I still invite each of you to have a personal experience with the miracles of the Lord this week: 

•our plans got wiped from area book- randomly-- and we didn't know when we had scheduled to see this incredibly elect family we stumbled upon last week. So, we prayed about it and showed up at the inspired time. Coincidentally, we showed up to a mother in tears-- she had just been through a family catastrophe. Though she was hesitant at first, she eventually invited us in to share a message of peace and comfort. We had another appointment the following day whereupon discussing the coincidence of our visit she said, "that's what made me believe in you." A family of nine is now on the pathway to exaltation because two missionaries were in the miracle-seeking business.

•after praying much for power and authority and fasting for the tender mercies of the Lord, one of the families we are teaching is entering into the bond of matrimony and the waters of baptism. Through the spectacle of their faith this week they have overcome their temptations, fortified their relationship, and been blessed in all things both temporally and spiritually. Spiritually, because they've been able to see God's hand more openly in their lives. Temporally, because a specific member we had prayed over, out of the blue, delivered a fresh air conditioning unit anonymously to their front porch. 

• I was asked to give a talk this week-- apparently, the curse of my farewell devotional has been lifted-- on overcoming the fears of missionary work and what blessings we can receive from immersing ourselves in the service of the Lord. I feel so passionate about these best two years, the talked flowed like the River Jordan. As I testified of missionary work and the Atonement, I felt yet another confirming witness that this work is the Lord's work. We can overcome our fears of missionary work by increasing our faith. And the best way to increase our faith is to read the Book of Mormon. Therefore... if you want to overcome your fears of doing missionary work... READ THE BOOK OF MORMON. Well, following my remarks, the Stake Patriarch took the pulpit and exploded the hearts of the children of men with a metaphorical analysis of the temple. As we made our way through the congregation, someone who has been taught for years on end, has been avoiding the lessons, and actually made it to church this past Sunday-- her husband approached us (mind you, he is willing, open, and ready to receive the Gospel) and said, "your talk may very well be the reason my wife gets baptized." My heart was full-- to think that the Lord could use a rusty instrument like me to touch such a precious heart-- my joy was exceedingly great. We're now on schedule to teach them about what they felt, to capitalize on their witness, and to testify of the miracles of the Restoration. 

• we made a companionship goal to prepare for the sacrament throughout the week and to have a member in every lesson-- with five minutes 

These are those who are truly converted to the Gospel. Not to the church, or to the missionaries, but to JESUS CHRIST. There's a difference-- and if we expect to receive our desired blessings, we must base our faith and conversion in Him who has all power unto deliverance and salvation. The church cannot change us... the missionaries have no power to bestow blessings... but Jesus Christ has all power, both in Heaven and in Earth, to change and bless us eternally. 

And one final thing-- if you're in a position of righteousness, and you're obedient and worthy... and things aren't going to plan; take heart. Your struggles are part of God's plan and your endurance will be recorded and praised in heaven. Pioneers of old will praise this latter-day dispensation for their due diligence and perseverance in trials. But hey, you know what they say, the price to know God is one worth paying. Thankfully and gratefully we aren't pushing wagons... but we are pushing...so keep pushing. Angels are round about you, his spirit is ever present-- you are more supported and trusted than you know. 

Well friends, I really can't say enough about the miracles of this area. And it really all stems from the consecration and willingness of this ward. These members know how to be missionaries-- and that is why we see miracles. I feel so much joy being a missionary. I love what I do and the people I do it with. YOU ALL CAN BECOME CONVERTED-- to Jesus Christ, not the church. And if you choose to be, the miracles of the Restoration will distill upon your soul as the powers of heaven. I testify of Jesus Christ, of his work, and his church. I love being a missionary in Gonzales. AND I HOPE YOU ALL APPRECIATE YOUR INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY. You are so blessed. Just look for miracles...and you'll find them...and with them, you'll find a loving Savior, waiting for you with open arms. In the miracles of the Gospel, we can feel God's embrace. So choose to be converted and choose to believe in miracles-- they're there...if you only have the eyes to see and the mind to find. Also, grateful to live in a country of agency. GOD BLESS EVERYONE. HAVE A GREAT WEEK Y'ALL! ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU. 

Happy 4th y'all,

Elder Boyd

This Week's Pics:






















No comments:

Post a Comment