SLIDELL SCROLLS: THE FINAL CHAPTER (thirty?)

And the scroll unrolls its final page,

The day that we never thought would come. In thirty chapters, I would have never believed the things that have been inscribed in this record. As we have unraveled through the manuscripts of this great adventure, I have truly been humbled, even promised, to serve in such a holy land as the one and only Slidell. I thank you ALL for following us on this blessed journey- from the bottom of my heart, I would like to utter the most sincere thank you to all those who have blessed my life as a missionary as I served a privileged time here in Slidell. God knew I needed Slidell in my life, to humble me, to help me to repent, to help me to feel a greater portion of his love, and to help make me the man I am today. In the final scroll of this edition, all I can say is thank you. I have been truly blessed with the best in the SLIDELL SCROLLS: THE FINAL CHAPTER (thirty?)

Well, I am sure you are all wondering, in great suspense: WHERE IN THE BIG BLUE BAYOU AM I  HEADED?

Well, random citizen allow me to suppress you suspension-

VICKSBURG MISSISSIPPI. 
I guess all that practicing of spelling Mississippi really wasn't for nothing? 

And my companion will be...

the one...

the only...

ELDER SELLERS!



That was a silver lining in all of this. I truly love Elder Sellers, having worked with him before in Thibodaux, am so excited to work together once more on the other side of the Mississippi. 

Oh yeah, and either I proved myself poorly through driving the Tacoma or God was just helping a brother out with his calves, but we're also biking.
In a new state.
And a new stake. 
And a new zone.
And a new ward.
And a new area. 
With the nearest missionaries two hours away.

BUT TO BE HONEST I COULDN'T BE MORE EXCITED. All of the above should be looked at as opportunities for growth. Luckily God hasn't shown his mercy to me in blessing me with easy change- he is so kind to endow me with difficulties, so that I can be humbled, and acknowledge my weaknesses, to develop my strengths. It's a beautiful process, really-- one that has changed my perspective about change entirely. The whole point of the refiner's fire is to be uncomfortable. And the whole point of being uncomfortable is to develop the faith necessary to bring about God's purposes. So really, though the furnace of affliction may seem like a never-ending process, we can endure with joy trusting that faith will come, and through that faith, we will find the strength to stay in the furnace just a minute longer. 

“If I thought we had to execute this transition relying exclusively upon our own experience and our own judgment, then I would be terrified. But we will have help from heaven. Because we know who is in charge and that we are not alone, … I am not scared.”

I have faith that Vicksburg was no mystery to our Father in Heaven. I have been prepared to love those people and to serve them as I have loved and served the people in Slidell. Here's to a leap of faith, trusting in an all-knowing God, and knowing that all things work together for good to those who serve God and are called according to his purposes. However, I must first offer up a token of gratitude for these past five transfers...

ODE TO SLIDELL:
Oh Slidell, how you have changed me for the better. In thine ever-encircling arms of love, I have felt a greater sense of my true identity. I have learned to love myself and to embrace the great work of the Gospel. I have learned that families can truly be together forever and that God blesses us in his infinite wisdom with certain people in our lives to help us feel his most needed love. Slidell has strengthened my testimony that this is Christ's church on the Earth again today and that the gospel has been restored to the Earth! I cannot deny a God of miracles after my time here in the promised land and dare not argue with the promptings that have testified that I have served here for a divine reason. Slidell, I will forever be grateful for the eternal influence you have had in my life, for the people you have blessed me with, and for the opportunities you have given me to grow. I will never forget you, dear Slidell. You are always in my prayers and in my heart. God be thanked for the promised land! Slidell has changed me for the better. :) 

ODE TO JONES:
Elder Jones, my second born in the promised land, oh how I love you. You have cultivated my change more than any other companion, and truly made me the man I am today. I want to thank you for teaching me to be valued and appreciated- that I am important and loved! Thank you for teaching me how to more effectively study and do missionary work. For helping me to see the potential in others and teaching me to be more Christlike. I owe you great thanks for being an eternal friend in my life; one whom I could always talk to, feel comfortable confiding in, and confessing my weaknesses in a sign of humility. Thank you for making the biggest difference in my life- for dealing with my imperfections and helping me to feel confident in who I am and who I am becoming. You have forever changed my mission and my life, and I think not that any wording of any sorts could truly do justice to your influence and friendship. Sincerely, the simplest words I could say are... thank you. Thank you for being an example of Jesus Christ and a freaking fantastic trainer. I love you brother. Til' we meet again- as Alma with his brethren, where my joy will inevitably be swallowed up in Christ- I bid thee adieu. Be sober my son, farewell. 

There are a million of other things I could say about the people who ave loved me and made me the missionary I am today- but you know who you are- and if my prayers have been sincere enough, the spirit will testify just how loved and appreciated you are. 

Well, in other news, our mission was visited by Elder Gong, Bishop Davies, Elder Bowen, and Elder Johnson- all general authorities for the church. The most I can say about this irreplaceable experience is that the spirit was felt. I have no doubt in my mind that this church is lead by divinely appointed servants who receive modern day revelation, even the will of God, for the church and the saints today. Their words were inspired, there is no doubt about that. My questions were answered. This mission was blessed. Some of my favorite quotes from the occasion were: 

"An eternal perspective is to see the influence you have had on others."
"The key to teaching our friends, is to teach with our hearts and with our eyes. When our eyes touch their hearts, they will feel the Holy Ghost."
"No bad man would have written the Book of Mormon and no good man would have written it with the intent to deceive."

To name only a few... 

Oh and, we had a BAPTISM!! 

It was truly a special day in the service of the Lord as another one of the true elect entered into the sacred waters of the covenant. We had been working with this young lady since the beginning of mine and Elder Jones time together, and to wrap up our unforgettable adventure we were both able to see her take this essential step to follow her Heavenly Father. As one of the most stressful days, I also increased my testimony that there must be an opposition in all things and Satan really dislikes ordinances done through the proper authority. It was a sincerely special day, one that I will never forget, and one that I will forever remember as I reflect on the celestial time I have had here. 

Well y'all, I think that'll do it for us this week. Stay tuned next week for a whole new volume as we entertain a whole new journey. I'd like to finish with the remarks of a familiar show-tune as I commemorate the love and blessings I have enjoyed as I have served these wonderful humans in Slidell: 

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good  
It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...
Like a ship blown from its mooring
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good. 

HAVE A GREAT WEEK Y'ALL. ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU.
Vicksburg here we come,
Elder Boyd 










































No comments:

Post a Comment