SLIDELL SCROLLS: CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Salutations, random and acquainted citizens alike,

Yes, I know I've been rumored to have a poor digestive system... but yall, I've been FEASTING on the words of Christ, and digesting that good old doctrine, with no indigestion. This week's experiences have entirely been prepared for by the studies I have enjoyed. Time and time again, I find that a scripture I've read earlier in the day perfectly applies to a situation I encounter out proselyting. If you've ever wondered where the instruction manual is for this insanely complicated IKEA bookshelf, we call life- SEARCH NO MORE. Instead, search the scriptures, for in them is a detailed instruction manual, guaranteed to help you piece together even the craziest bookshelves of your life. We've been blessed this week, and I can't wait to share it with yall in SLIDELL SCROLLS: CHAPTER THIRTEEN.

Heres a quote I've treasured and cherished as I've applied the book of Enos in learning to communicate better with God: 

When Enos raised his voice high to heaven, it had nothing to do with volume. It had to do with the quality of the communication, the content of his soul as he sought further light and knowledge. There should be moments in every life when you put aside all distractions, worries, and troubles of this world and you ponder deeply about God. It is only in such quiet, still moments when our minds can reach into heaven itself. We can feel things long before we are able to see them.” 

Okay, this is Elder Boyd after the fact... I don't know why I decided to be dramatic and detailed with this story, but I guess this scroll is a Slidell Times bestseller now... 

Every whisper from the Holy Ghost is worth listening to- especially the ones about making brownies for old ladies. It happened not in the tumult of screeching children, or in the ruckus of the rioting relief society... but in the still small voice. 

I was sitting comfortably between a commitment-keeping investigator and the end of the pew. The faint shriek of the nursery filled the Sabbath air, as I tried my best to focus on the inspiration from the pulpit. The topic of this particular days' sacrament meeting was perfect- unbeknownst to me at the time- receiving personal revelation.  I had just finished my daily, "scan around the chapel" as I do every meeting, paying special attention to the front row of the congregation. As I was rounding the senior couples and the bishopric, suddenly my mind was fixated on a particular member of the ward. In passing, we had made small talk a few times in the hallways, but I had never felt more invested in this wonderful woman than I had at this time. For some odd reason, every fiber of my being seemed to combine to form a sudden singular thought... "go talk to her." We were in the middle of a spirit-filled speech, and the impression was irrefutable- "go talk to her." If I have learned one thing on my mission, it is to never doubt a positive enticement- usually, through following such, you'll find yourself on an errand for God. Well, this particular errand had me maneuvering my way out of the cozy bench, and over to a vacant spot in the front of the chapel. As with all promptings, however, Satan cuts into the spiritual frequency with a static of his own. "If I stand up, everyone is going to lose their focus on the speaker, and immediately preoccupy themselves with my whereabouts..." Apparently, my natural man reputation was on the line, and the little devil on my shoulder thought it would be more appropriate to remain seated and relish in the relaxation. But, just as the young boy Joseph Smith fought his way through the thick veil of darkness trusting in a brighter conclusion, I too knew there was a glorious reward awaiting me on the other side of that pew. So, I silenced the shoulder devil and got up. I followed the prompting- and no matter what culmination of anxiety or fear had previously beset me, I found myself next to this woman- lead entirely by the spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. As I nestled myself next to her, I quickly noticed something wasn't right... her face was stained with mascara, from a waterfall of tears. I was called here for a reason. With great haste, I beckoned her to the foyer to diagnose the problem. It wasn't until this moment that I had noticed, she was one of the Hispanic members of the ward, with a very limited understanding of English. If there was ever a more appropriate time to pray for the gift of tongues... Simply and sincerely I asked,"What's wrong?" Her reply came as a desperate call for help, in the most broken English she mustered. "my stomach hurts." Suddenly my calling and election were made sure- this woman needed a blessing. I managed to summon the Elder's Quorum President, who luckily enough, doesn't speak a lick of English. We were able to give this woman a blessing, and the relief that came over her after the prayer was tangible. After we accomplished our mission, I retreated back to my original pew and enjoyed the spirit in the rest of the meeting- satisfied that God knew he could trust me, a simple missionary with a weird sacrament meeting routine, to run that errand for him. Later that evening, that same spirit prompted me to deliver her brownies- so we scavenged what baking ingredients we had, and ministered that evening to a sweet old woman, with a much better feeling stomach. :) 

Now you might ask yourself, "Elder Boyd, why would you dramatically narrate the events of an every day sacrament meeting?" I think, as with the First Vision, we have so much to learn about the character of God from this experience. God knows us individually and specifically. He knows how to PERFECTLY help us, exactly when we need it. He knows if our stomach hurts, so he sends his servants, because he loves us, to literally RUN TO US in our afflictions. He qualifies us with spiritual gifts to fulfill what he asks of us and loves us enough to ease our burdens. I learned so much about personal revelation from this past week- Satan hates prompting, but if we're willing to upset him- after the prompting comes the blessing. 

Other than that, Elder Cox was under the weather, yet again this week. Pro tip: just don't eat at sketchy Chinese buffets. The peppered chicken may LOOK harmless, but trust me, that clucker bites back 30 minutes later. SO, I was both a scholar and a housewife this week as I cleaned and studied my way to chiseled husband material. HOWEVER, God totally knew that we would be stuck inside and that we wouldn't be able to proselyte a whole bunch... so when we DID knock doors, he had already prepared many miracles for us, because he knew we were doing everything we could do. We had families literally run up to us on Saturday evening, in great wonder and awe about the Book of Mormon. It was a whole new kind of elect, as we weren't finding them... but they were finding us. We felt personally ministered to, as God provided a way for us to feel successful, in an otherwise hibernating week. In my studies, I have been studying about the enabling power of the Atonement, and through the course of events this week... I have seen that redemptive facet in action. 

Well yall, life is so good. Me and my favorite son, Elder Cox, are loving life together in the promised land. Shout out to all those prayers said for the gulf- that hurricane, like Satan, was pathetic. Elder Cox and I are gonna keep slaying and praying down here in the bayou... Never neglect a prompting. Whenever the spirit prompts you to make brownies for someone, do it. Trust that God knows you, and your situation, and is providing and preparing someone this second to answer your prayers and fulfill your needs.. oh yeah, and most of all, ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU!! Have a great week yall! Sending lots of Louisiana love and prayers your way! 


From a blessed brownie baker,

Elder Boyd










Apparently, it's raining A LOT! 😮



No comments:

Post a Comment