SLIDELL SCROLLS:CHAPTER EIGHT

Greetings little flock,

I thought I would start this week out with a quote that has really resonated with me this week, and pretty much sums up the events of our scroll-

From Elder Holland

"Take the sacrament every week, and hold fast to the perfecting promises of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Believe in miracles. I have seen so many of them come when every other indication would say that hope was lost. Hope is never lost. If those miracles do not come soon or fully or seemingly at all, remember the Savior’s own anguished example: if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong, trusting in happier days ahead."

We are living in happier days, and the bitter cup has never tasted sweeter. Working hard is always worth it- and even if it takes a 25 mile bike ride and your tire pops and your Gatorade spills all over the place and the doors just won't open, and you lowkey have to use the bathroom but there is not a sheet of toilet paper around.. it is always worth it. Welcome, my friends to SLIDELL SCROLLS: CHAPTER EIGHT. 

I'm gonna rant about miracles again because miracles are so real and so legit. 

MIRACLE #1
The day of miracles has not ceased. This weekend, one of our dear, dear friends made one of the best decisions of her life. I feel so humbled to be a part of such a beautiful occasion... I have learned more about myself and more about the scriptures from her than I ever thought I would on my mission. Shes got quite the investigator resume: She is a bible queen, who prefers doctrine and covenants over music, is willing to go the distance to sacrifice for the word of wisdom. She keeps her commitments, testifies so strongly of the Book of Mormon, and is what we missionaries call... "the elect." The spirit was TANGIBLE, I say, TANGIBLE. And we owe it to the members of the ward- without members, missionary work is near impossible. Make it easy on yourself, and ask a member for help. The ratios are chilling... members are the gateway to miracles. 

MIRACLE #2
This week we also literally, "pedaled to the metal" and had quite the spiritual experience - we were BIKING in the blazing hot sun, and I felt strongly impressed to go knock on these doors in a sketchy neighborhood... I know it wasn't of my own accord, because we purposefully haven't knocked these doors in the past. Anyways, Elder Cox swiftly followed as we skirted around the corner and made our way over to get knocking. Well, about 45 minutes later NOTHING. I mean, we taught someone who had been taught by missionaries before but still wasn't interested. And we answered some questions about Joseph Smith and gave out a copy of the Book of Mormon, but no one was really INTERESTED, ya know? It felt like a divine referral, and yet we saw no fruits in our labors. So, we biked away- and as we were pedaling along, I said a little prayer in my heart for understanding, "God, why were we prompted to go over there? No one was interested..." The answer I received came simultaneously, with a resounding, "I needed you to do that for me.."Immediately, I was humbled. I reflected upon the last 45 minutes, and thought of my commission as a servant of the Lord, and thought, "if God wanted me to plant another seed so that man could be open to the Gospel eventually, I'll do it. If he wants me to answer questions about Joseph Smith and give someone the opportunity to accept the Book of Mormon as the word of God? I'll be there." I learned a very special lesson in tracting that day. God has plans for us and uses us DAILY to bring to pass his eternal purposes. I think I'm going to be much more "easy" when it comes to following his counsel in the future, now that he knows if he needs an errand run, he can depend on Elder Boyd to do the job. And the silver lining of it all.. we finally found, "the hood" which I originally would've skedaddled from, at the very sight... but now, its home. I am Elder Boyd, and I call the swampy slums my home. Those of you who know me, know that is about as likely of a statement as my hypothetical tan lines.  God is working many mighty miracles in me. It's so good to be a missionary.

MIRACLE #3
Okay, last one. We've been trying to get this woman and her two kids to church for WEEKS now, but she always comes up with an excuse. It wasn't until we asked one of our recent converts to go pick her up... and she WAITED OUTSIDE FOR THIRTY MINUTES FOR HER TO GET READY.. that she finally came to church. Right after elder Cox's beautiful confirmation blessing, she came walking in.. and my heart was full. God is SO good y'all. Too good to us. We are in the promised land for real. 

LAST MIRACLE:
We were out tracting in the final minutes of our day, and for SOME reason, I have no idea why we kept running into shirtless geezers with their suspenders. One door after another- another shirtless gentleman would pop out.. Well, we decided- ONE DOOR MORE. Well, we knocked.. and immediately this spooky blue light turns on.. and we look at each other amidst the mood lighting and think, "oh no, its one of THESE houses." Well, we were SO wrong. The lady opens up, IT'S NOT A SHIRTLESS GENTLEMAN, introduces herself, invites us in, makes us some grilled cheeses (more for Elder Cox) hooks us up with some Fiji water, and tells us to relax on her couch bed. She ends up being the most PREPARED woman who has had questions about the church for the longest time. We had an incredible spirit filled lesson about repentance with her, and she said, "that right there, is the reason God sent y'all to me." So yeah, stay tuned for her baptismal date...haha, we love her, and we love working here in Slidell!

Well y'all, its been a good week over here, and I hope the same for all of you. LOOK for the miracles in your life and you will find them. I promise you, miracles are SO true. I love this church, I love missionary work.. and I LOVE ALL OF YOU. HAVE A GREAT WEEK Y'ALL. BELIEVE IN MIRACLES. ENJOY THE BITTER CUP. ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU!!

With sincere and miraculous appreciation,

Elder Boyd

















No comments:

Post a Comment