CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER TWENTY- FOUR

"Sometimes God brings times of transition to create transformation."

Transfer week.

Anxiety is something I think exists in each and every single person, it just takes an unbalanced force to bring it out. You don't realize how much you have until the threat of its absence prompts appreciation. The secret to change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old but building the new. These are but a few of thoughts that laced my mind as we endured the daunting calls of this week- and without further adieu...

I'm leaving Chalmette.

Three words I never wanted to say and looking back on it- the same way I feel now, is the same way I felt initially about the little community I have grown to love so much. Isn't it crazy how love makes the difference? No matter where you are, no matter how sketchy somewhere may be... if you love it, you'll never want to let it go. BUT, that's the thing about growth... the difference between what we want and what we need.. and as much as I want to stay in Chalmette... I am coming to terms with the fact that I am needed somewhere else...

Thibodaux, Louisiana, to be exact. Elder Carter, bless his heart, is gonna hold down the fort in Chalmette with his new companion, Elder Jones. Sister Perez, bless her soul, is going up to BR to be an absolute legend and follow up train, in a new area, for her third transfer in the mission. And Elder Hernandez is going to open up the Slidell Spanish Area with Elder Flores' trainee, Elder Taylor. Oh, and the ginger spice is staying to make everything nice- Elder Myers will be replacing me as the designated ginger, and Elder Flores new companion. As for me, I'm going up to Thibodaux with Elder Sellers. And there's one more thing... 

I'm the new Zone Leader for the New Orleans Zone. My Zone Leader companion is actually a Spanish Elder in a neighboring city, and together we shall lead this zone to miraculous victory. As exciting and intimidating as all of this is.. the words of ever so wise father echo in my head, as I think of this new opportunity for leadership... "Mission leadership just teaches you that above everything else.. it's just great to be a missionary." And that's so true. Nothing is changing, I'm still gonna be quirky Elder Boyd, pun, ukulele, and gospel-lover extraordinaire. Leadership is an action, not a position. So it's time to act and see some miracles in Thibodaux. 

*and for all you non-native peeps out there... it's pronounced. *TIB-OH-DOE*. I think. :)

I'm going to make this email more of an appreciation psalm for the blessings I have seen and met in Chalmette. Something that is helping me get through this transition is that.. if it wasn't good it wouldn't be hard... if I didn't love it, it would be easy to leave it.. but it is hard and it isn't easy to leave.. because it has been so good and I've loved every minute of it. I know that everything happens for a reason and I am most grateful that the guy in charge, is perfect. There is perfect timing in all of this, and I know that if I look at the opportunity and potential to learn and grow, I will see Gods hand in all of it. I feel like, if I'm comfortable I should be nervous, cause God creates growth out of the uncomfortable. And with that, ladies and gentleman, we enjoy the final edition of the CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.

Time for the list of appreciation:

These members are some of the craziest people I have ever loved. 

I've really treasured the District and being a District Leader.

The area has taught me to overcome anxiety.

Elder Carter is one of the best mission friends a guy could ask for. 

The elect are here, and as a planter, I look forward to the harvest. 

This quad-ship has created some of the most genuine laughs and rusty Spanish.

I've learned how not to nest and to overcome Orleanian Road Rage with love.

I've treasured the beautiful levy sunsets and the sweet aroma of toast and the hardworking middle class.

I've learned that sometimes the weirdest people make the best impressions. 

The Spirit can be felt in even the most unconventional of places.. even a Lutheran Pre-school.. ahem, ESPECIALLY a Lutheran pre-school...

It has taught me that, yes, change is good.. and home isn't so much about the surrounding, as it is the heart. 

The "Chalestial Kingdom" has helped develop me into the person I want to be. I owe everything to these members, this area, and the missionaries I have served around. My entire mission dynamic has sprouted from the love and acceptance of the lovelies in this region. I really have no words or affirmations to express the infinite love I have for this place I now call home.

Transfer calls were really the hype of this week. And the fact that our mission achieved... 29 baptisms in the month of April, four of those coming from the great city of Chalmette! A part member family that the Spanish Elders have been working with got baptized and confirmed this past week... it was a remarkable experience for all. They truly exemplify joy in covenants. 

I've also got to say, Elder Alexander Carter is such an incredible human being. I am blessed, no, honored, to have served as his companion. I know that God puts certain people in our lives because he knows that they know best how to relay his perfect love for us... and I know and believe with all of my heart that Elder Carter was divinely chosen for me. I have never met anyone so understanding, and comforting, and talented.. he is such a great missionary and I ENVY Elder Jones for being able to serve alongside the legend that is THE Elder Carter. I love him so much and am eternally grateful for everything he has taught me... They really weren't kidding when they said the mission will help you find some of your greatest friends. What a guy, that Elder Carter.

And this District... I can only say the smallest part of what I feel.. I have been so privileged to serve and love my fellow missionaries. I know they're off to do great things with the great people they are making great places even greater. I'm just grateful that they'll still be in the mission.. SIster Perez and I both, THANKFULLY, have a long way to go. :)


Elder Carter and I had some good lessons and saw a lot of miracles in our last few days in Chalmette. Now, it's time for him to take his proper role and bring this area to victory! There are no greater hands to leave this area in than those of God and Elder Carter. :) 

Well Y'all, I think that will be it for this week. To the people of Chalmette I humbly utter.. thank you. I have left a piece of me in that Holy Land and will never forget the people and experiences I have enjoyed there. For those of you out there who are facing change.. embrace it. The first step in managing stress is identifying.. "is there anything you can do about it?" We can trust completely that God's hands are better than ours, and that each change is a strategic ploy to bring us closer to Him. If I can do it, you can do it.. remember Big City Anxiety Boyd? Look at him now- changing all over the place, and if it weren't for the endless support and love from all of you and our Heavenly Father, I know I would never be able to do it. All things are possible through Christ. Faith is a principle of power and as we exercise it we see the miracles of our lives unfold. This church is true. I just.. have no words left to say.. so know that I love each and every one of you reading this email.. and our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ do too. Here's to new adventures and eternal friendships!

Thibodaux, here I come.


From a human paradox (slightly anxious and excited at the same time),

Elder Boyd


Lots of photos.. just for Y'all. Also, apparently alligators like marshmallows (see pic below)? Who knew? :)  














































No comments:

Post a Comment