CHALMETTE CHRONICLES: CHAPTER SEVEN

Happiest of New Years from the Happiest Place in the World (maybe an overexaggeration?),

Wow, it seems like it was only last year that I was writing to you all. THAT'S BECAUSE IT WAS- BOOM- SPACE WARP- ANOTHER YEAR BITES THE DUST. I'm sure you're all quite tired of hearing, "last year" jokes-  but as Marjorie Hinckley once said, "the only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." Basically, giggles make the world go round, and your choice of emotion is your own exercise of agency. So choose to laugh. Pretty please? It makes life so much easier. And with THAT MOTIVATIONAL CONGLOMERATION OF SISTER HINCKLEY AND ELDER BOYD'S QUOTE-PALOOZA, we endeavor to enjoy our first 2018 edition of the CHALMETTE CHRONICLES! *woop, woop.*

Y'all this week was cold. Straight up. But that doesn't mean we didn't thrust in our sickles with every ounce of might, cause no Louisiana standard of freezing could stop this Elder from harvesting the field. Even if the harvest is frozen over and refuses to open their doors. BUT, I feel very fortunate to spend an entire year immersed in the work of our Lord and Savior, and I am DETERMINED to make the most out of each sub 20 degrees today. And I know what you're all saying, "Elder Boyd is a wimp. 20 degrees? I'd walk that in my underwear." Well, let me tell you, disbelievers, I don't know how, and I don't know why, but 20 degrees in Louisiana is NOT Washington warmth. Maybe it's an acclimation deale-o- but these people down here be treating it like the 2nd Ice Age! Anyways, we still had some freaking awesome-tastic experiences, so please, read on if you feel so obliged. 

First off, I'd like to take a moment to say: hearing about President Monson today (yes, missionaries receive the news too..) brought upon some conflicting emotions. My, "childhood prophet." yes, we have reason to mourn the loss of one of the greatest disciples our dispensations has enjoyed. He was a man who truly emulated Christ in all that he did, was an inspiration to all, and quite frankly, one of my favorite people in the world. Although I never met him, I felt his love for the people of the church. He truly loved everyone. And however sad it makes me, I can't help but adhere to the ingenious words of the Doctor of Seuss himself, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." We should have joy- we lived in the same dispensation as one of the Lord's loving and most treasured prophets. We have deeply admired his sacred counsel and benefited from his jolly nature. As President Eyring lovingly states- he has only, "completed his mortal ministry." This news has only cemented my belief in the Lord's plan for all of us and his perfect direction of his church. The plan of salvation has chilling reality, and I know we each have an individual part in this great production. I love Thomas S. Monson. I love our Heavenly Father and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We're all gonna be okay because after all, we are in his hands. His perfect hands. And he will not leave us comfortless. 

ANYWAYS, our investigators have been a wee bit temperamental this week- be we're still finding miracles everywhere, and I know that each occurrence is a tender part of his plan. SO yeah.. about that baptism we were supposed to have on the 30th.. we tried meeting with "T" to teach him some more, SEVERAL TIMES, this past week- but to no avail. We have no idea where he is. Every time we try calling him, it says he can't accept calls. So basically he's disappeared, and although we were kinda bummed we didn't get to see him in white, we know it's all in the Lord's timing. We've been really struggling with follow up appointments lately- magically, whenever we return- even though we conveniently watch them go in- they aren't home. We always rationalize righteously, as I like to call it- "maybe they have a secret tunnel under their house that directly leads to the nearest volunteer opportunity.  Oh, maybe they are deep in prayer about the Book of Mormon so they can't come to the door because that would disrupt the spirit conducive atmosphere." Find joy in everything. The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away the days hoping for better ones ahead. Make the better day, today. We did some crazy winter tractiing- made me feel like one of those, "tough missionaries." But every potential investigator we found just hasn't been home for the follow-up- so we have learned a great lesson in diligence. With all these disappearing investigators, we've focused more on the less active hunting this past week. We've traversed over tempestuous flat-lands to uncover the hidden gems in the field.. but the gems were pretty good at hiding because everyone has either moved out of Chalmette or is once again just not the most adept at answering doors. However, the joy that we found wasn't in increasing our investigator numbers, but in being submissive and showing our willingness to press forward in the face of opposition. In turn, we had some great studies, some incredible learning experiences, and increased our companionship unity. There's a blessing in everything if we will only look with spiritual eyes. But we TOTALLY HAD SOME RADICAL FUN AMIDST IT ALL-

So you know how it's quite typical to commemorate the new year by doing a certain number of something? Well, us being the macho men that we are, decided to flex 2018 times. I have never felt so prideful in my life, haha. I still feel sore from extenuating my biceps- but boy, was it worth it. I'm quite excited to dedicate an entire year to serving the Lord, how awesome is that? Way cooler than flexing 2018 times- let me tell you. When we had branch coordination this week, usually our Branch Mission Leader enthuses in the local Saints game- but this time we found a DVD of General Conference from a decade ago and watched that instead. Golly gee do I love the general authorities of the church. Although we had quite a hoot commenting on the facial expressions of the majestic tabernacle choir, the talks were just as bomb.com. ALSO, tender mercy, half the congregation at church on Sunday were investigators! YES, MISSIONARY WORK! Okay, maybe the total congregation was like.. ten.. but still that's such an awesome sight to see! 

This week wasn't absolutely gnarly in the scheme of experiences, but I am absolutely feeling the Lord's hand and spirit in my life every single day. We started the Mission Book of Mormon reading challenge this year, and I gotta tell y'all, that book is so flippin' fantastic. I'm highlighting the Gospel of Jesus Christ this go around and learning so much about the spiritual applications involving the doctrines and principles of this church. If you haven't made a new years resolution, once again, I strongly, "exhort" you all to read the Book of Mormon. I know that as you do you will feel the power of the doctrine changing your spirit to align on the path to discipleship. Exaltation is the goal, discipleship is the journey. Read the Book of Mormon every single day, and you will be one step closer to that ultimate goal. I'm personally making a resolution out of identifying weaknesses and stomping them into oblivion and becoming larger in stature. I know that together, and through the merciful hand of our Father in Heaven- and if this scrawny white boy can achieve Nephi status, you can read the Book of Mormon every day! :)

Well, that about sums up the happenings from the bayou tundra. I seriously feel like I'm on Hoth, dodging taun-tauns (crazy Louisiana drivers) and striving to convert the Empire- but without the snow. And this spiritual Jedi ain't giving up soon, so stay tuned as the ginger strikes back. I hope y'all have an infinitesimally joyful and glorious week of substantially spiritual experiences and awesome recreational fun. Keep praying. Keep enduring. Soon enough, we can enter into the rest of the Lord, but I don't know about y'all, I wanna feel worthy of that rest. So DO HARD THINGS- I know the Lord will bless you for it. Y'all have a stellar week, ya hear? I love each and every one of you- your souls are so precious to me. Thanks for being crazy cool cats. You make the world less, "cat"astrophic. Remember what I said about puns? LOVE Y'ALL AND HAVE A GREAT WEEK. ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU!!

With a gargantuan amount of warm love that overcomes the bitter cold of the bodacious bayou,

Elder Boyd












No comments:

Post a Comment