GONZALES GAZETTE: CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Master, what shall I do that I might inherit eternal life?

The soul's inquiry. An outward exhortation of an inner desire to follow Jesus Christ. And the Savior in His infinite wisdom shared a specific parable as an inspired answer to an inspired question. The parable of the Good Samaritan--- the more that I serve the Lord, the more His scriptures, His words, and His parables have come to verity in my own life. I have a Samaritan in my life. I know what it feels like to be prepared with a lamp full of oil. I know a few Lamanites who came unto Christ and "they knew it not." I have equivocated certain scriptures to people in my life. I have likened verses to my experiences, and all the while... come to a more complete knowledge of the Father and conversion to the Lord. I can testify that the scriptures are written for our day. Specifically, for this week we have been Samaritans, innkeepers, and men on our way to Jericho. I know that my Redeemer lives and I am so grateful for his errands-- He is using every last ounce of my spirit as a full-time servant, and I am so grateful that he is not done with me! I CANNOT WAIT TO TELL Y'ALL ALL ABOUT THIS WEEK. Welcome, Samaritans and Jews alike... even you priests and Levites... to another Gazette, even the GONZALES GAZETTE: CHAPTER SIXTEEN. 
And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart , and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live .But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour ?And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.But a certain Samaritan , as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host , and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise. -Luke 10:25-37 
John W. WelchBrigham Young University professor, J. Reuben Clark Law School, has said:
The man who was going down is Adam. Jerusalem is paradise, and Jericho is the world. The robbers are hostile powers. The priest is the Law, the Levite is the prophets, and the Samaritan is Christ. The wounds are disobedience, the beast is the Lord’s body, the [inn], which accepts all who wish to enter, is the Church. … The manager of the [inn] is the head of the Church, to whom its care has been entrusted. And the fact that the Samaritan promises he will return represents the Savior’s second coming. 
After a series of Zone Conferences, reflecting and rejoicing through testimony, and tangibly witnessing the love of the Lord in action-- the Savior's mercy rested upon us sweetly as we came off conqueror and triumphant in Jericho!

On the Lord's errand, we found a man on his way from Jerusalem headed to Jericho. The gravity of being on an errand for the Lord, is depending on how we magnify our callings. We can either be a priest, Levite, or a Samaritan. A scary thought indeed, but had we not been worthy of the spirit, or been out of tune with His spiritual frequency, or not acted in faith, or endured through opposition.... we would've left someone wounded by the wayside. Thankfully, by the mediation of mercy, our spiritual eyes were opened and sensitive to the promptings necessary to lead us to succor. For the sake of the story, we'll call our main character, "Sam"-- short for Samaritan. 

Sam had been wounded for a long time. Through familial dissonance and spiritual struggles, he had found himself in some precarious situations that caused his wounds and transgressions to sink deep within the hem of his garments. In efforts to change, to find solace, and to be healed, he had reached out to many a priest... only to be cast out. When the Levites came around, his hands hung hopelessly down. With no strength in his feeble knees, he wallowed hopelessly by the wayside, conforming to the depression of an eternally injured spirit. A man who had given everything to the Levites around him, yet now so freely he had given.. just as freely had he not received. Forgiveness as his alibi, he was rejected of men and considered to be a thing of naught... that was until two Samaritans, on an errand for the Lord, found themselves along the covenant path. As the Samaritans embarked on their journey to Jericho, they took especial notice of the inhabitants on either side, dwindling in unbelief. A simple offering, they uttered, "come and see." With tears in His eyes, a guilty history in his heart, and a with all their souls might, mind, and strength, they put the wounded on their shoulders and "carried him home." Along the way, they spoke of holy text, promised peace, and the promise of a brighter day! Taking no thought beforehand what they should eat nor drink, they laid for themselves incorruptible treasures in heaven, and carried Sam to a local Inn, wherein he could find healing, strength, and support. The innkeeper welcomed the company with open arms and rejoiced in the recovery of a fallen brother! They tended to his wounds very specifically... Sam, speechless, could only utter a few words-- "is this real? I finally feel love. I know that I am a child of God. I feel like I finally opened up to someone who cares. I love you brothers." A tender tale indeed-- Sam went away rejoicing in the promised blessings of the Samaritans! And the Samaritans departed rejoicing in the Lord's errand and the tender mercies of heaven in blessing them with an opportunity to be a neighbor to one in need. 

In the words of Elder Gong when he came to minister to the missionaries at our mission conference in January said:
Some of you are called to the mission because there are people here prepared for you to teach and to bring into the fold. Some of you were sent here for your companions. Some of you were sent here for the experiences the South would yield and contribute to your character. Some of you were called to repentance. Some of you were called to declare repentance. And some of you were even called- for the sole reason that it was the Lord's commandment. But most of you were called to the Mission President and his wife. To those select few, you weren't just called to a mission-- you were called to a mission president.
Elder Gong's words pierced me to the very core... "that one is me," my Spirit whispered. Actually, ALL of them are me. 😊 But most especially, I have experienced the wisdom, grace, love, power, and foreknowledge of the Lord in sending me to the Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission, in large part, because of President and Sister Varner. Yes, I have had the best companions (shoutout to the Boyd posterity) and yes, I have left the debris of my inmost affection on the streets of Louisiana and Mississippi; these people have my heart, this place is my holy land, and the Lord has certainly called me to serve, where I've needed to serve. Yes, I've been called to repent and to declare repentance, to carve my character through the challenges and opportunities of Christlike struggles... but greater than they all, I was called to know, to love, to trust, and to cherish the Varner's. A mission is a very special concept--- the Lord takes you at what is presumably the most selfish part of your life, and tells you not to think of yourself. To me, that is why I have never been happier, that is why I have experienced a fullness of joy, and that is why I sin in my desire to be an angel forever and to declare repentance at the sound of a trump! Amidst this selfless assumption however, He blesses you with the Godhead as your constant companion, and with second parents who reflect the Savior's love and trust. You know what they say, "you practice what you preach..." and I can think of no greater embodiment of this principle than the Varner's. They are the greatest missionaries among us, always on the Lord's errand, constantly ministering, the most pure examples of leadership and charity, and truly the express image of heavenly parents in an earthly circumstance. They have helped me realize who I am, endowed me with the joy, talents, and capacities that I know will help me for the rest of my life, and helped me to feel what it truly means to be a child of God. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Varner's, and having worked so closely with them these past few months, I can honestly say that I know they were foreordained to be in my life. Oh what JOY this sentence gives! I have most definitely served in the mission meant for me! I know that we are called to serve... but in serving, I have found Him; and with Him and through the Varner's, everything else. 

A tribute to the Varner's can only be appropriately delivered in my proper, perfect frame. Catch me in the Resurrection when I can truly express how I feel about my mission!

Elder Boyd with President and Sister Varner the 1st day he arrived in LA:


Other miracles from this week... 
  • By the authority of the Holy Melchizedek priesthood and having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, we cast out an evil spirit from a haunted home. The son of the family had been seeing shadows and at only three years of age, would recall discussions with, "Grandpa." This non-member family called upon the powers of the priesthood, and through their faith, we received word that "our son said the shadows are gone. Grandpa has returned home." I have a testimony that the power of God is on the Earth today-- I know that if we have faith in Him we will have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in Him-- and that includes calling evil spirits by name and casting them out in the only name under heaven whereby man can be saved. 
  • Our Bishop--- the legend and a great example of leadership in my life-- was invited to preach in a neighboring Baptist congregation. He taught about the Plan of Salvation, the Restoration, and the Book of Mormon. Following his sermon, he said, "that was the first time I have ever received a standing ovation in church." He proceeded to invite every member of the congregation to attend the temple open house, put up a poster for the temple in their church, and following his remarks, the pastor of the church got up and said, "it's time for us to try new things and to open our minds and our hearts!" We are now invited to a community interfaith event to hand out copies of the Book of Mormon and Articles of Faith cards! And on top of that... beloved Elder Jones and I have been visiting several neighboring congregations around Gonzales and have been inviting the pastors to attend a special session of the temple! THESE ARE THE LATTER DAYS! And I know that the blessed day where the land and the lion shall lie down together... is in the midst of us. 
  • Finally, our recent convert friends have officially completed the 12 step course! They are one step closer to getting their kids back under the direction of the Lord...
  • In what was one of the greatest highlights of my mission, I had the opportunity to testify before the missionaries in Baton Rouge, in giving my final testimony. My mission has meant so much to me y'all... and instead of telling everyone about it, I pray that my mission can be recognized through a Christlike countenance and an eternal pursuit to being a true disciple of Christ. 
Well, y'all! That was our week... some of us may be wounded... some may need to be a Samaritan... some us have priest and Levite tendencies... but for those who are wounded or are on the lookout for ministering opportunities, take a chance on the Lord's errand! “When we are on the Lord's errand, we are entitled to the Lord's help. Remember that the Lord will shape the back to bear the burden placed upon it.” I know these words are true! My testimony has been shaped because of our dear friend Sam! I can testify that this is the Lord's work-- the day of miracles and revelation has not ceased! I testify that not only are we building the House of the Lord... but we are building ourselves. The Lord has built me as I have served him and I am so grateful for the trials I have experienced that have increased my capacity to develop gifts and to deicate myself to the Lord and His kingdom! I love the Varner's. I love the Lord. I love my mission. Happily, I am a fortunate, settled, man of JOY-- as opposed to a poor wayfaring man of grief... I know the Lord still has work and errands for me to do-- and I will serve him until the end. Look for the wounded in your life... enlist on the Lord's errand... and trust in Him! You will become changed, healed, and restored! HAVE A GREAT WEEK Y'ALL! ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU! 

This Week's Pics/Video:





























No comments:

Post a Comment