THIBODAUX TALES: CHAPTER ONE

So begins a new chapter and a new tale...
Little town, it's a quiet village,
Every day, tracting all these doors,
Little town, full of crazy Cajuns..
Waking up to say...

HEY, Y'ALL, 
Y'ALL FIXIN TO POP SOME MUDBUGS IN THE ICE BOX AND HAVE A GATOR WRENCHING, YEE-HAWING GOOD TIME?

It's the south y'all. And Thibodaux is as country as it gets. If missionaries could wear overalls and proselyte with tractors, this would be the place to do it. Where roadkill is a delicacy, and plantations abound a plenty.. we endeavor to enjoy the first edition of THIBODAUX TALES: CHAPTER ONE. 

*I feel like an alternatively Cajun version of Duck Tales as our theme song would be most appropriate here*
One week down in Thibodaux, and like an icebox, we just straight chilling. I've got to say, this humble abode certainly isn't Chalmette, but its definitely a promised land of its own. I can feel the potential all around, and the more doors we knock, the more excited I become to find those elect and invite them to be happiest. But don't get me wrong.. the elect aren't the most conventional bunch. Let me give you a good ole' fill of some of the.. beloved sons and daughters of God we have met up with this week...

My very first impression of Thibodaux: 

-Now, I myself, am a man who loves to talk to people. And I'll be brutally honest, I try to blend in with the culture as much as I can.. which sometimes, is to my downfall. This particular instance, we get to talking to this guy, who has been investigating the church for two and a half years.. and immediately we get off topic. Now, I should've taken the hint from the Spirit, but I was just trying to get a conversation about the Gospel going. Long story short- my guy starts teasing me about how missionaries are not divine, because they are constantly distracted by women. He said he didn't trust me and that he knew he'd be seeing me at the club that night partying it up with the local chicas... AND, that I wasn't responsible enough to pray. Well, just when I thought things couldn't get better- this young women walks in.. okay, feeling relieved.. we get to talking, feeling a lot better, and then come to find out, it's his mom.  Well, me just trying to be a nice gentleman and all... I let her know how good she looks for her age... AND MY GUY starts teasing me about his mom. As we were leaving, he said, "Gingy's got a crush on you ma.. " So yeah, that's the time that I ruined a lesson by accidentally "flirting" with an investigators mom. Welcome to Thibodaux.

- Our next stop was short and sweet. Imagine this: He's a video game addict with a keen fancy for fruit punch, and he refuses to give us his name because he is convinced we're with the "FEDS", so we call him "Brother". We tried teaching him the Plan of Salvation, but right before we could give him the keys to the kingdom.. he jumps up and hollers, "fellas, I'm not feeling well. I have an inkling for Skyrim and my dragon lord is calling my name." So yeah, that was the time we met a Skyrim addict. 

- And last but not least...
We have this awesome opportunity to volunteer at a tutoring center over on the outskirts of Thibodaux. Now, if you have ever wanted or desired the strength of a raging fire or the force of a great typhoon.. go to Myron's tutoring. It's essentially a patience workshop for the short-tempered. I was pleasured to assist in some phonics fun with a 3rd grader. Apparently, my companion worked with this individual before, and he is one of those kids who, "makes the tutor do his homework." Well, we weren't having it.. and once we finally overcame his five-minute temper tantrum, we finally got some work going. Well, this particular time, was a spelling obstacle. It was the most hilarious sight.

"Describe the weather in Fall."

"Cold"

"Okay, how do you spell that?"

Well.. he gets the C.. but the O was a struggle..

..and I kid you not, this kid goes through his ABC's twenty times and every single time he skips over the O. Even my fourth-grade friend was tripping, and started feeding this kid hints... "OCTOPUS. THINK OF THE OCTOPUS."
It was seriously straight out of a sitcom, it was so funny. 

So yeah, there are a few comical experiences I had in my first few days in Thibodaux. 

The ward here is pretty stellar. I came just in time for the ward crawfish boil- which was a delightful time to get to know all of these members. Church was refreshing. We have a meal calendar, ladies and gentlemen, I REPEAT, a meal calendar. Tender mercies from serving in a branch.. don't get me wrong, Chalmette is home, but the ward vibe is pretty cool too. I don't feel like I have to make a comment on every principle or share my testimony in between each member to keep things lively. I definitely feel like I could get used to it here. It makes the transition so much easier when you actually ENJOY change- so we're just gonna get to work and enjoy the journey.
So yeah, other than that.. here's a few other little details:

•A huge tender mercy here.. is they actually have weightlifting stuff in our apartment.
• We have a tiny house. Now, when I initially heard we had a house, I imagined a pitiful collection of 2×4's making the boondock looking like a luxury.. but no, this house is so cozy and adorable. The view from our back porch is straight bayou, and it is so relieving to not worry about someone downstairs. Straight up, I can stomp and scream all I want, and nobody will come upstairs and berate me for my excitement. The couches are comfy,  the shower has some stellar power to it, and the amenities aren't too shabby. I definitely look forward to coming home to this house every night, which is not something I thought I would say, but I can.

•WE HAVE A MALIBU. Now, I've never been too picky with cars... but Chevy Malibus are an upgrade and a half for sure. We were driving a Ford Fusion over in Chalmette, and the Spanish Elders taunted us with their Malibu.. such a smooth ride, beautiful interior.. heck, when you're looking for the positives about life, you can find them anywhere.

So yes! That would be our week.. lots of new and exciting things coming our way, and I look forward to seeing what the Lord has in store for me. I'd like to give a huge shout out to everyone who prays for me back at home. I feel your love and support. BIG THANKS Y'ALL.  TALK TO YOU NEXT WEEK. ELDER BOYD LOVES YOU.

With grandiose goodness for the good people you are,

Elder Boyd


New Companion: Elder Sellers


Ward Crawfish Boil















No comments:

Post a Comment